Chapter Fourteen • A Missing Thief

Right, I can't wait so I'm uploading this chapter even though I was going to wait a couple of days! This is not a part of my original story and I think that is why I'm so excited.. I really like William's POV... Enjoy! (I enjoyed writing it!)

-William-

When they arrived home William was exhausted. The journey from the next kingdom had been terrible. The soldiers slowed them down due to the fact that they were walking. All he wanted was to see Jade and they had been delayed not a day but two due to this.

William was riding in the lead with his father. The old man looked concerned. The eyes were looking forward but not on the road. They were somewhere else, as were his mind.

"What is on you mind, father?" William asked in a low voice so no one else would hear him. "I can see that your mind is elsewhere."

"I am concerned about this whole matter..." his father muttered.

William sighed but didn't let anyone hear it. He knew exactly what his father was talking about. They had left about two weeks ago because his father had received a letter. It was from King Sirion who reigned the kingdom adjacent to his father's. The queen there had learned of William's choice in bride and had gone completely out of her mind.

It hadn't surprised him at all though. The queen and his mother had planned for him to marry one of Sirion's daughters for as long as he could remember.

However, he hadn't expected that he would have to go there with his father to explain himself. It was none of their damned business who he chose to be his bride. William's father had dragged him to attend an audience to settle things. It had consisted in the queen pushing her daughters on William one by one at different dining occasions and interrogating him about what was wrong with them. It had made both William and the princesses very uncomfortable. It had all ended in William excusing himself after finishing his food and the queen urging her husband and William's father to condemn his choice and behavior. Fortunately, for William, his father took his side every time and tried his best to ensure the queen that her daughters were lovely, but just not right for his son. This had proven to agitate the hag even more.

"Mother probably sent a letter..." William said with a bitter tone. His father nodded.

"Probably... I don't know how this will turn out, my son. Sirion was very upset about the fact that you won't marry one of his daughters." His father mumbled.

"What could he possibly do?" William asked. "He won't start a war because of it. And Sirion did not have a problem with my choice, it was his wife talking."

"Of course it was her..." His father said. "But it could damage our alliance with them..."

"I don't care..." William mumbled. "I'll deal with it later. Since Sirion only have daughters, I doubt that their future husbands will take the time to carry on their mother in law's grudges."

"William!" his father slightly raised his voice. He looked at him. "I understand why you won't change your mind about Jade. But I will only tell you this once: It is of great importance that you take your future role seriously. You cannot just run around making decisions that suits you and then not face their consequences. You must act like the king you will become, even now. Your actions will have consequences and especially one like this when a lot of people won't approve of it. Most princes would have just kept the girl as a bedwarmer, but since you want to make her your queen, you have to make sure that our alliances stands strong and that this won't affect our kingdom's future!"