Chapter Fifty Six • Burn Her

Happy Saturday ♡

-Jade-

Everyone was staring at Jade like she was some sort of demon, like what she had just said was one of the most horrible things they had ever heard.

Her mother stared at her with an expression that exuded serious concern for her daughter mixed with a hint of distaste.

Jade's father stood completely shocked and speechless in the door, while Elizabeth simply stroked Jade over her hair. Jade did not look at Elizabeth to see her reaction. She could feel the tension in the room and how they all were stunned from what she had said. Their judgemental looks was nothing she cared about.

"We cannot anger the-" Her father began.

"I do not care who's or whatever's wrath comes down upon us, burn her." Jade interrupted him when he all of the sudden became religious. "I will gladly do it myself if I have to." She added.

If there's a hell and someone who determines if I will or will not go there, I have probably sinned more than enough already... so burning her will not do any difference. Jade thought to herself.

Her father gave his wife and Elizabeth each a look of distress and sadness.

"Nothing will change if you to take refuge in anger and bitterness, Jade..." Her father exhaled heavily as he placed his hand on the door handle. "If the boy-"

"WILL YOU STOP CALLING HIM A BOY?!" Jade screamed. "HE IS NOT A BOY! STOP DEGRADING HIM!"

The fury in her was overwhelming and now it came pouring out of her. She got out of the tub and ripped her nicely folded clothes from the floor. She got dressed quickly and felt the fabric stick to her skin since she had not bothered getting dry first.

"Burn her or I will." Jade threatened her father and felt her whole body being taken over by something dark. Something fumed by fury and rage.

Initially, the sensation terrified her, but there was also some strange form of comfort to it. It gave Jade a temporary feeling of inner peace, she only hoped it would last. The alternative was unspeakable pain and she could not fathom how she was going to be able to live through it.

"Jade..." Elizabeth placed herself next to her. "Do not take this out on your father." She cautioned Jade in a lower tone. As you would when you calmly disciplined a hysterical child.

"No, it is fine." Her father suddenly said and they both looked at him in surprise. Jade inhaled and narrowed her eyes.

"What is fine?" She hissed. "Nothing is fine." She forced her voice not to tremble, all the while her whole body was a shivering mess, both from anger and grief. She knew her behaviour was despicable but she did not care.

"No. I know that nothing is fine, Jade. I did not mean it like that." Her father began.

His eyes studied her face for a moment, and he seemed sadder than he had been earlier.

"But there will be no peace in doing something so disgraceful as burning the body." He continued. "You will not get him back-"

Jade walked up to him and ripped the door open. She left before he could finish his sentence. There was no need to hear the rest of his sentence. Its ending was predictable enough and she did not want to hear another word of it.

-Loren-

The carriage would not hold for long in the speed they were traveling. The king ignored every rock or hole in the road as he impatiently forced the horses to run faster. Loren looked down on William who had closed his eyes to get some rest.