Chapter Fifty Nine • Picture her in a Crown

-Jade-

After another week had passed, Jade noticed how William's appetite slowly came back. One day he was finally strong enough to sit up in bed.

She found out by walking into his room after she had let the doctor examine him while she was having breakfast with Elizabeth at the inn. Jade could not control herself when she gasped in joy and a wide smile spread across her lips. William sat up, looking healthier than she had seen him since their wedding day.

"William" She whispered and walked over to him and sat down on the edge of the bed. "You... What... How are you feeling?" She asked and stroked his cheek tenderly. He leaned into her touch and exhaled.

"Better, but still tired I am afraid..." He answered with his voice hoarse. "I would like to go home." He muttered.

Jade raised an eyebrow in surprise at him while handing him a cup of water which she had brought with her. A stubborn look from her husband demanded a response to what he had said. She gave him an equally stern look which told him to drink his water.

"We cannot go back there..." Jade mumbled as he brought the water to his lips. "There is a war waiting for us there... and a mob wanting to kill me for all I know."

The king had left a couple of days ago when he had assured himself that William would not die the very second after he sat up in the saddle. The king left in order to see if there was even the slightest chance of avoiding this war, but he did not beam with hope or confidence that this would have a happy outcome when he had said his farewell to Jade. According to him, his brother in law could be just as ruthless as his sister. Jade had shivered from the mentioning of the queen. She truly wished that she would not have to see that woman ever again.

"I did not mean to my father's home." William answered her. Jade woke up from her thoughts. "I meant that we would go up north, to our home." Jade smiled at the sweet words and kissed him on his forehead.

"You are still too weak to travel." Jade shut his suggestion to leave down with a soft voice. "We have to wait."

"No." He objected. "We are leaving."

I cannot believe that he is still this stubborn... He for one should now that he is too weak. The wound has not even healed completely yet, and he wants to travel up north? Jade thought and studied the man staring back at her with a demanding expression in his face.

"Fine." She exhaled and stood up. "Stand up and let us leave then." Jade argued boldly, pouting her lips haughtily while she waited. William rolled his eyes. He could not stand up yet, and he knew it.

"There is no honor in staying here." He muttered and gesticulated towards the bed. "I have been stuck in this-"

"There is no honor in dying just because you are too stubborn for your own good, either." Jade hissed and took the empty cup from his hand. Her index finger pointed sternly at him as she turned around and went to put it down on a table near the door.

The sound William's laughter filled the room. Jade's lips broke into to a smile, but he could not see it. There was no describing how happy she was that he seemed to be getting better and better for each day that passed. Especially now when he was even sitting up by himself.

The doctor became more and more positive for each day William lived as well. He seemed surprised after every time he examined his moody patient. Like he had indeed expected William to perish but was happily proven wrong in this case.

"What on earth are you laughing at, your grace?" Jade asked as she turned around. Her husband was leaning against the stone wall with a warm smile on his lips. The dark blue eyes were glowing with delight. "Are you laughing at me?" She sat down next to him again.