Chapter Sixty

-Jade-

An hour later she watched as William, with the help of Loren and the young doctor, entered the carriage. Loren had managed to procure them a carriage thar looked like it would hold for the journey, but nothing beyond that.

The carriage had surely been sturdy when it was new, but from the look of it now, it had seen rough weather and been poorly taken care off.

Pulling the carriage was Loren's horse and the one Elizabeth had ridden to Thornstead. Jade was going to ride Dimma up north since there was not enough room in the carriage. William needed to be able to lie down if necessary and Elizabeth was joining him in it. Jade had convinced the stubborn woman that she was not letting her ride such a distance again. The ride from the castle to her parents' house was far enough.

The wind had picked up and it felt like a snowstorm was heading their way.

Jade had changed into a pair of dark leather breeches and she wore thick layers on her upper body. Over it all she wore the cloak William had made for her. Elizabeth had braided her hair into a loose braid that rested against her back. The fierce wind ripped some strands out of it.

As Jade watched William painfully sitting down her heart sunk. The doctor had told him that she was right about the journey. It would be terribly bad for him to go through with it and still he did not listen.

What if his wound gets infected or starts bleeding when we are out of reach from a doctor? She thought, her forehead wrinkled, and her brows knitted. A doctor! She lit up. The doctor! He should come with us!

"Are you not coming?" William called impatiently after her when he had settled inside the carriage. Jade woke up from her hopeful idea and looked towards her husband.

"I am riding Dimma." She answered him and walked over to the carriage. He was leaning out a bit and she saw how it hurt him to do so. This assured her that what she planned was indeed the only sane thing to do. She needed the doctor to come with them.

William's eyes widened as she spoke.

"Are you mad? There is a snowstorm coming our way." He objected, nodding at the gloomy sky above them. Jade threw a quick look at the dark clouds above them but was not worried about it. "Get in!"

"It is just snow, William... Or would you rather leave him here?" Jade countered and pressed her lips together as she waited for his response. She already knew he did not want to leave Dimma. He would never do that.

"Of course not, but we can tie him behind-"

"No." Jade interrupted him. He gave her a cautioning scowl.

"You will get sick." He argued stubbornly.

Another reason to bring the doctor with us... She thought to herself and rolled her eyes at William.

"It is crowded as it is in there..." Jade nodded at the small space which was left inside of the carriage.

William was covered with warm blankets and furs. Elizabeth was supposed to join him but where she was to successfully find a place to sit, she had no idea.

"Besides, he needs it." Jade continued. "He has not been happy about standing in the stables all day lately. I only managed to take him out a couple of times..." She explained and an expression of guilt flew over William's face for a second. He knew very well that Dimma needed to be ridden up north and not be forced to walk behind the carriage. That would be nothing less than torture to the stallion.

A dark look flew over William's eyes as he caved. It made her smile.

Moody as usual... At least it is a good sign that his health is approving...