Chapter Forty Four • Hiding

-William-

"Where are you going?" William's father asked as he walked out to the courtyard again. "Did Loren tell you-"

"Loren is not here, they are not here." William interrupted his father before he got the chance to let everyone know that William was leaving again. "I cannot explain. I have to leave right away. Have Elizabeth explain everything to you, I have to go. I have to find her."

His father got off his horse and walked up to him with a quickened pace. He put his hand on William's shoulder and locked eyes with him.

"Son. Be careful. Do you even know which way they went?" He asked visibly concerned. William shook his head and felt that things might be hopeless. However, if Loren was with Jade, he could at least be sure that Loren would do everything to keep her safe. What he did not know was for how long he would have to chase them before he caught up with them. More importantly, he had to find them before anyone else did.

"No. I don't know anything." William answered quietly and gave his father a hastened look before pretending that he studied the commotion around them. "Will you be alright here, alone?" He asked and calmly turned to meet his father's gaze again. A smile rested upon his father's lips and the eyes exuded reassurance that he would be just fine.

"I have dealt with things like this before you were even born, my boy." He chuckled and brushed away some flakes of ash from his beard. "I will be fine. I am however a bit worried about how I am to convince everyone that Jade is innocent."

"I am very grateful that you don't-" His father rocked him gently by his shoulder, signaling William to be quiet.

"I know, son." He said quietly. "Let's not discuss it further. Not here at least. Go now. Find the girl."

"Let me know how things turn out here. Send letters to the North. I will go there after I have found her."

"Is that wise?" His father objected quietly. William shrugged his shoulders.

To take Jade up North might not be the wisest alternative, but where else would he take her? He couldn't let Jade live on the run. The winters here were very harsh, and even more so in the North, but he couldn't bring her back here before the rumors about her had been proven to be false. He had to keep her safe and at least he knew his own castle like the back of his hand. In the North he could make sure Jade was out of harm's way since he had had secret rooms made just in case something would ever happen. He wasn't sure that he could do this, for a longer period, in another place.

"I think it might risky to go to a place where you are expected to turn up... Anyone could find you there... Just try to stay away and keep out of the public eye until I have cleared things up." His father suggested.

"What-"

"Everyone that will try to get to Jade will look there first." His father said in a very serious tone. "To go north is very predictable. You have to do the opposite of what people would think you would do..."

"Alright." William sighed heavily while rubbing his forehead with his hand. There was so much to think of... "But how will I know if you succeeded to clear Jade's name if I can't go to the North? How will I get your letters?"

His father's brows pulled into an affronted frown and he disappeared into his thoughts for a moment. It felt like very long time had passed before he looked up again.

"When you find her... Take her back to her home..." His father said calmly and very quietly. "When you are there, send word to me and I will send you a letter."