Chapter Five • A Name

-William-

He turned the key and the sound of it the door being locked was all that could be heard. Until suddenly, the door started to tremor violently. William took a step back. Looking at it for a second or two before he realized what had happened.

Jade had thrown herself against the door and was banging at it hard with her hands. Over and over she hit her hands against her side of the door. Judging by how the door was moving and the sound of every bang, she was using all the force she could muster. Force he hadn't thought she was capable of.

"What are you doing? Why the hell, did you lock the door?!" She screamed from the other side. "Let me out!" Her voice sounded desperate as she kept hitting the door.

William studied the door in silence. He waited for Jade to stop without answering her. If she reacted this strongly, she wouldn't listen even if he did take the time to explain to her why he was looking the door.

The sound of her crying reached him and an excruciating guilt washed over him. The feeling was one he rarely experienced and he didn't care for it. He stayed on the other side of the door as to comfort her, without her even knowing it.

After a while she finally calmed down. William waited a little longer before turning to the door of his own room which was opposite to hers. Silently, he opened the door but hesitated before entering. He listened for her once more. There came no noise from Jade's room but he could hear how heavy she breathed, and then came a quiet sniffle.

He wanted to explain to her that he only locked the door because he needed to be sure she was safe. But it was of no use. She wouldn't accept any explanation he would give her. Not as long as he kept her locked in a room against her will. He didn't want to, but he needed her to he safe.

He had lied to her in the carriage as well. When she'd asked what he needed her for... and he'd answered that he didn't need her. He did, and he wanted her. He'd never needed anything or anyone as much as he did her.

He had been very disappointed to find out just how resistant she was to this arrangement. So much more than he had expected. Of course, she wouldn't be happy that she was given away to a complete stranger... but could she not feel what he felt when he looked at her?

The first time he had laid eyes on her, his whole world had turned upside down. How was it not the same for her?

-Jade-

Jade waited a couple of minutes for an answer. There came no sound the other side of the door, but she knew that he was there. She could feel it.

A moment later she heard him open his door and how it closed behind him. She sniffled and backed away from the door. Really? He is locking me in here? Tears overflowed her eyes and trickled down her cheeks.

Jade walked over to the bed and sat down, drowning in devastation. Sobbing and crying she laid down in and covered herself with blankets. She was still fully clothed, apart from her soaked shoes which she removed. She shivered when her feet took shelter underneath the covers.

She fell asleep crying, alone and afraid.

. . .

The next day Jade woke up to the sound of a gentle knock on the door. A part of her was relieved that the worst night of her life was over. She hadn't slept at all. Her head felt heavy and it ached from all the crying and lack of sleep. Jade sat up and pressed her hands against her face. It was dry from crying. Her skin felt cracked and her eyes felt so dry that they couldn't muster another single tear.