Chapter Nineteen • A Ball

-Jade-

The next day Jade was sitting in front of the mirror while Elizabeth was doing her hair. Four days had passed since she had seen William. How could he intend to marry her but not even come and see her during these days? All of her unanswered questions had her in a bad mood.

"Why do I have to be presented to a ballroom full of strangers?" Jade asked her governess.

This ball was making her very uncomfortable. She didn't want to be put in the center of attention. Especially when it was the attention of nobles and royals, who was going to judge her.

"They are going to say the same thing as everyone else."

That I am of low birth and this marriage is an embarrassment. They will think I do not deserve him, just like his mother.

"The prince has to present you to the nobles. It is tradition. I told you this already." Elizabeth mumbled while she continued struggling with Jade's hair. It seemed that she couldn't decide on what to do with it. "They also need to know who their future queen is, and what she looks like." Elizabeth said.

With a bitter gaze Jade looked at her through the mirror and then at herself. Her whole face exuded the reluctance she felt for being forced to attend this ridiculous event.

"What's the point?" Jade mumbled quietly and placed her chin in her hands, leaning onto the table in front of her.

No one is going to talk to me.

When Elizabeth was all done Jade was dressed in a cream colored dress. It was decorated with golden seams and the needlework was as incredible.

Something told Jade that it had to be the work of the tailors. At the end of her sleeves small pearls had been sewn on. They were formed into an intricate pattern of leafs and flowers which made it look like they crawled up towards her arms like veins. At her breasts there were also pearls sewn on and they slithered down towards her hips. This dress was by far the most beautiful she had worn so far.

Elizabeth had made an advanced updo with Jade's hair and she barely dared to move her head in fear of ruining all of her work. It was very beautiful. It was a mixture of small braids that were intertwined into a large bun at the back of her head. Jade awoke from her thoughts when Elizabeth accidentally pricked her with a pin.

As the sun was setting Jade was led through the castle to the ballroom. Elizabeth had a very excited look on her face. Why Jade couldn't understand, but it probably had to do with William and Jade. It felt like Elizabeth was the only one that was excited about this arrangement.

Why can't I just stay in my room? I really don't want to do this... Jade thought as they went through a room filled with flowers and burning candles.

"I am not feeling well." Jade whispered to Elizabeth. It was a lie but she was willing to try just about anything to get out of this.

"Stop it, Jade. You are to be presented tonight, whether you like it or not." Elizabeth hissed at her and it was a sign that Jade was walking on thin ice. Her governess patience was clearly reaching its end.

They walked through the entrance hall and into another room. Elizabeth stopped and placed Jade between the door they had entered through and another on her left side. The room was smaller than she had imagined. There were no tables or chairs in here.

"Is this the ballroom?" Jade asked confused. Elizabeth rolled her eyes in amusement and a little smirk played on her lips.

"No, sweet child. The ballroom is the next room, to your left. This is just were the guests will be greeted." Elizabeth explained. Jade nodded and studied the room.