Chapter Eight • Finally Here

*Long Chapter*

-Jade-

Outside the carriage, commotion erupted. People gathered around it and called out after 'Prince William' when they saw William sitting in the front of the carriage.

Most of the ones who were calling out for him were worried, or completely distraught, by the sight of him.

Jade on the other hand, was shocked by the fact that he actually was royalty. It made no sense that he had chosen her.

"Out of my way!" Jade heard a man's voice call out.

The owner of the voice sounded distressed, and he must have been wearing some sort of wooden shoes because the sound of them hitting the cobblestone reminded Jade of little Peter playing with his wooden blocks. It clicked and clocked with the man's every step.

"My prince! What happened to you?" The man asked loudly and his voice was now high-pitched. "Where is the driver? This is outrageous!"

Jade waited patiently in her seat. She did not want to get out of the carriage when there were so many gathered outside of it. The carriage moved as William jumped down from it. She heard how he gave each horse an encouraging loud pat. The poor creatures hadn't gotten any rest since they left the inn so the praise was more than well deserved.

"Bandits." William answered the man shortly and went to the door of the carriage.

It's not just me he is short with... Jade thought and felt a bit relieved. At least that is some sort of comfort.

"Did you bring the girl?" The man seemed excited and followed William.

"Yes." He answered in an indifferent tone and opened the door.

Jade flinched. She had been sitting in the exact place since they had left the inn. Her legs curled up to her body and her arms wrapped around herself.

William and the man, who appeared to be some sort of priest, were looking at her. Well, William was looking, the priest was staring.

The priest wore black robes and around his waist a rosary hung close to his hand. He was almost completely bald, except for some single strands of hair on his head. There was a nervous smile on his lips. Jade was surprised of his many wrinkles. Age had not been kind to this man, and he seemed quite old she thought. 

Despite the lack of hair on the man's head, his eyebrows were bushy and grey. They gave him a very distinct and easily read face as they conveyed his thoughts. His nervous smile and eyes turned shocked, and somewhat disappointed when they landed on Jade inside of the dark carriage.

"Oh my-!" He exclaimed but quickly turned silent when William have him a piercing dark look. "Look at the state of her! How dirty she is! Is this really the girl that-"

"We were attacked by bandits! Did you expect her to be dressed in a gown without a single hair out of order? After a long and hard journey?" William hissed at the priest. 

The old man averted his gaze and took a step back while William offered one hand to Jade, motioning her to leave her seat. She rose with shaking legs to take his hand. She tried her very best to seem more gracious than she was, despite of her clumsy and numb feet, as she walked the few steps towards William and took his hand. 

Before she could get her first foot onto the step, he put his hands around her waist. She nervously met his eyes before he easily lifted her down from the carriage and placed her in front of him. There was almost no room between them and she could feel him eyeing her up and down. She had completely forgotten about the priest next to them when he answered William's question from earlier: