Chapter Sixteen • Bleeding

-Jade-

An hour later Jade was sitting on a chair in the kitchen. Her arms were bandaged from her elbows down to her hands. The bandages had been applied meticulously and they reached all the way down to her thumbs. Her fingers were naked but the rest of her hands and arms were covered in white strips.

The cuts had finally stopped bleeding, but now they ached something terribly instead.

Still, the thing occupying the entirety of Jade's mind was the lingering sensation of William's lips on her cheek. The little patch of skin felt warm and slightly tingling.

Without thought, she touched the area where his lips had been. Her thoughts  swirled. Once again she had been given signs of that he cared for her, but this time it was clearer. It seemed like he hadn't cared if someone had seen him do it. He had just... kissed her.

This thought left Jade confused, even more confused than she already was... and somewhere deep inside, a light was coming to life. Hope? Jade frowned as she searched the emotions stirring within. It wasn't hope... it was something deeper... she couldn't place it.  

He threw himself before the knife without thinking... He put himself in danger to save my life... She thought and disappeared into the memory of what had happened in her chamber.

She hadn't even noticed that Elizabeth suddenly were helping her to stand and petted her cheeks with affection. Elizabeth's caring and gentle fingers pinched Jade's cheeks to bring her out of her mind. Her eyes glimmered with some sort of relief and softness as Jade came back to her.

"Come now, child." Elizabeth sighed and motioned Jade to walk with her by placing herself to Jade's side. "You must be exhausted..." she cooed softly. "Let us go and find you a new room to sleep in."

. . .

The next day a servant girl woke Jade up when she pulled the curtains open.

Bright sunlight drenched the room and Jade turned to her side, too tired to get up. Her arms still ached and she could feel how the bandages stuck to her skin with the dried blood. The rest of the night hadn't brought her much rest. She had woken up frequently because of the pain her wounds caused her, with tears slowly making their way down her face she had tried over and over to sleep - but had failed.

Someone was talking in a low voice to the girl as she approached the door which had been left slightly ajar. Jade opened her eyes and looked over. The girl was standing with her eyes fixed on the floor while she nodded at what was being said to her. Afterwards she disappeared out of the door and closed it behind her.

Elizabeth entered shortly after and Jade noticed that she held a bucket in one hand and a basket in the other.

"Good morning." She said and closed the door behind her. She looked like nothing had happened last night, and that she had gotten a whole night's sleep. You couldn't tell by looking at her that she had been up for hours taking care of Jade.

"Was it you, talking to the girl?" Jade asked and rubbed her eyes, still drowsy with sleep.

"No." Elizabeth answered shortly and Jade understood that it had been William. It had to been him. "Give me your arms." Elizabeth demanded as she put down the bucket and basket next to Jade's bed. She sat down and Jade held out her arms like she was told.

"Was it William?" Jade asked shyly even though she knew it probably was him.

"We need to get you ready for tonight's dinner." Elizabeth said and Jade felt that she knowingly avoided her question. It felt like she confirmed Jade's suspicions without even answering.