Chapter Seven • Caged

-Jade-

William carried her out of the carriage, out into the rain. He walked quickly, with determined steps, towards the inn. Inside, he summoned one of the girls who worked there with a quick and demanding call. A young thing hurried over to them while drying her hands nervously on her apron.

"What can I do for you, sir?" She asked, having sensed the lack of patience in William's tone.

"I want two rooms. Now." He demanded without giving her a chance to say anything but yes. She nodded and immediately let them upstairs.

In the room, William put Jade down on the bed. Then he handed the girl the coins they owed the inn keeper, while Jade reveled in bed's wonderful softness. She was immensely looking forward to going to bed.

Before she knew it, William got down on one knee in front of her. She leaned back, feeling uncomfortable by his intense and scrutinizing gaze. It felt like the air had vanished out of the room. Neither of them said anything and a strange tension lingered between them. His eyes followed her face for a moment and then widened as they reached the wound on her cheek.

William reached out to touch her but she quickly winced away. A bothered and slightly embarrassed look appeared in his eyes. He quickly lowered his eyes towards her hand instead. Before he reached for her hand, there was an exchange of looks. He was asking permission to touch her. Jade didn't moved this time. She was quite taken by this side of him. Could he be kind underneath that hard exterior?

He slowly and carefully took her hand in his, turned it over and examined her wound. Jade grimaced when it stung at his touch.

"I am sorry..." He mumbled quietly, deliberately avoiding to look at up at her. Jade, however, kept her eyes on him the whole time. She held her breath while he examined her hand, almost scared to breathe as he touched her.

He pulled out a handkerchief and dabbed her wound meticulously with until most of the blood had been cleaned away. He threw the handkerchief to the side and then took the liberty to rip off a new piece of fabric from the already torn hem of her skirt. Jade let out a frustrated puff of air but didn't yell at him for ruining her skirt even more. He shot her a look and even though there was still darkness in them, she could see that he didn't want to hurt her, or ruin her skirt for the fun of it. He placed the piece of fabric in her hand and closed it for her.

"Keep it there until it stops bleeding." He instructed her quietly.

"Thank you." Jade whispered while retracting her hand from him, avoiding to look directly at him. It felt like he could see right into her very being with those dark blue eyes. There was something about him that made it feel like he was able to read her every thought.

"I'll ask the inn keeper's wife to bring you some food before I lock the door." He said, rose to his feet and walked towards the door. "I'll tell her to tend to your wounds as well."

"Where are you going to sleep?" Jade asked without giving her question a second thought. It was quite a strange question, which answer didn't concern her at all. She hoped he wouldn't think her immodest for asking such a private question. It made her nervous and she instantly knew that she shouldn't haves asked him.

It didn't help when he stopped and turned in the door. By the look on his face, he was surprised by her question, but pointed through the open door to the one opposite to hers. "In there." He answered simply. There was a hint of weariness in his voice.

Of course he is tired... He fought of the men all on his own, and then sat in rain all the way here.

"Good night." William said, pulling Jade from her thoughts.