Chapter Four • Leaving Home

- Jade -

"It's not fair! You gave me away to the first man who asked for my hand!" Jade protested loudly, fighting the tightening sensation in her throat which made it hard to breathe. "You didn't even ask me first!" She continued when it didn't feel like any of her parents listened. Jade threw looks back at her mother repeatedly while they descended the stairs, one step at a time.

As soon as Jade saw the man again, she looked to her mother for confirmation that this was truly happening. Her mother didn't say a word when their eyes met. Instead she discretely shoved her daughter towards her future the very moment their feet hit the ground floor.

Jade looked him up and down. He stood with such elegance and good posture, patiently waiting  for her. He seemed to be watching her closely as well. Only for a second though, then he exited the house without as much as a word. Not even a 'hello'? Jade scoffed in her mind.

"You cannot be serious, father?" Jade spat while her parents ushered her out of the house. "Is he a mute? No, he isn't! He can't even say hello to me?"

"You slammed the door in his face." Her father replied sternly. "What did you expect? That he would like it? He is of r..."

"Royal birth? You don't say?" Jade interrupted him. "How did this even happen? Is he going to keep me as one of his whores, while his real wife sits with her needlework?" She asked with a sharp tone and didn't consider the volume of her tone as they approached the carriage.

"Jade, that is enough!" Her mother snarled. This meant that all of her patience was spent. She wasn't having Jade's snide comments or protests any longer. "He heard your protests! He knows that you do not wish to marry him! Show your father and me some respect, not to mention this young man! Do us the favor and at least give him a chance before you hurt his honor with another word!" Her mother's words felt like arrows, piercing Jade all over. How could they do this to her? "I will not have you bring disgrace upon yourself like this!" She whispered sternly with a finger pointed at Jade. "He is the best match for you. You couldn't find anyone better if you had the chance. He will take good care of you."

"Take good care of me?" Jade snickered disrespectfully at her mother. She hit her mother's finger away from her face, turned around and watched the carriage that stood with the door held open by the driver. Her future husband had definitely heard every word they had said, but she didn't care. 

Jade walked towards the carriage. It was black and looked very steady. Its wheels were large and not as battered as the one's on her father's carriage. Intricate details of metal works decorated the carriage's doors and sides. The metal was shaped into slithering branches and leaves.

Why does it need to be so extravagant?

The driver held his hand out towards Jade. She took it and let him help her inside the carriage. There were two metal steps fastened to the carriage that she had to take before entering it. There was no heart-felt goodbye to her parents, no tight hugs or reassuring smiles. Jade did not say a single word to them as she stepped into the carriage. They could reap the fruits of their betrayal for all she cared. She didn't even turn around to look at them one last time.

.  .  .

Inside of the carriage it was quite dark, apart from small candles which were attached to each of the two windows. The shed a little light but did not stand a chance against the darkness surrounding Jade. The door closed behind her with a determined slam.