Chapter Sixty One

Long chapter coming your way!

AND

Mature content!

-Jade-

The following day the snowstorm had shifted into a slight snowfall. It fell as light as feathers and it made for quite the beautiful day.

They had continued their journey as soon as the first light touched the snow-covered ground. Jade was riding next to Loren who were driving the carriage. A harmonious silence rested around them and between them.

Jade felt calmer than usual. Her heart was lighter than it had been in a while, and it was all because William had slept through the night. For the first time he had slept soundly without waking up in agony. He had slept like a babe and it pleased Jade immensely. She had stayed up for hours after they had said goodnight to the others, worrying about him. She had been awake, looking at him whilst the light from the lit candles around them had played on his face.

It had been the first time they had shared a bed formally since their marriage. It had felt strange, but mostly because William was not completely himself yet. To share a bed with him had contributed to the easy state of mind she was experiencing now.

Jade drifted off into her thoughts more and more. She did not notice that Loren had started talking to her. She thought back to last night as Loren's voice became noise around her.

. . .

William had been sleeping for hours but Jade was still awake. The yellow and orange flames made the generally hard features in his face seem softer... calmer even, but she missed the old William. The decisive and stubborn man. The one who was infuriated by the most meaningless thing... or by something she had said in a snide remark.

A part of her could not believe that she missed that part of him since he had hurt her so many times while giving in to his own anger and taking it out on her... but she did. It did not matter how cruel he had been in the past. She missed the spark of life in him and how it used to glow in those dark blue eyes. Nowadays he was so tired, all the time...

And on top of it all there was a war coming. Nothing could be done to prevent it and she knew nothing of what it would bring their way. A heavy sensation erupted in her chest and her lungs felt too small for her.

What if he dies in the war...? What will I do then? What if the king dies? She wondered and brushed some hair away from William's forehead. He was not sweating like he used to, which was a good sign. Maybe he truly was becoming better and would be back to his old self soon?

With heavy eyelids, and her head filled with terribly scenarios caused by the war, she studied William's chest rise and fall as he breathed. She held her breath when he stopped for just a fraction of a second. Afraid that his final moment had arrived, but it never did. She felt silly, but could help being concerned... Feeling this way had become part of her life and it was hard to ignore it.

What if his wretched mother wants him to die after all of this? Could she be that spiteful? Jade thought and squirmed a bit. She knows where his castle is... which means that so does his uncle by now...

Jade laid awake, watching William.

Until he suddenly woke up. He frowned, puzzled by the candles that were still lit. A light grimace flew over his face and he turned to see if she was still next to her. When he noticed that she was still awake his eyes softened somewhat.