Chapter Twenty Five • A Shoulder to Lean On

-Jade-

Jade refused to participate in the feast. Elizabeth had managed to get her into her dress for the evening but that was all she agreed to.

Jade wouldn't take one step out of her cellar of a room.

Where the streams of tears had been she felt very dry and like her skin was going to crack. Jade threw a quick glance into the mirror and she looked like hell. Her eyes were still a bit red and beneath them she was visibly swollen.

"I wish you would reconsider..." Elizabeth sighed. She stood in the doorway about to leave Jade to her own company.

"I will not spend another second with him today." Jade answered. Her voice was hoarse from the time she had spent crying.

Elizabeth sighed in sorrow. She hadn't said anything about what had happened.

Apparently the King had sent her to find Jade but she hadn't said anything about William. Jade heard the door close softly and she felt silent tears fall again.

. . .

Later Jade went to the library
She had hoped to be alone but was of course accompanied by her new shadow; Loren. He didn't utter a word.

It seems like no one is going to speak to me... Jade thought gratefully as she entered through the library door which Loren had opened for her.

Loren then placed himself in the doorway and just stood there like a shadow.

Jade sat down in one of the armchairs in front of the fireplace and leaned back. She didn't even feel like reading or doing anything at all for that matter. She just wanted to be alone. The corset made it hard to sit in a comfortable way but she managed.

Jade studied the flames as they danced lively. She followed every flame's movement and tried to find some peace in the quiet room. It wasn't so easy with Loren lurking in the other end of the room, making sure that she wasn't running away. He didn't make a sound but his mere presence bothered Jade immensely. It was a reminder of William's words.

Jade felt her temper starting to awaken when she was reminded of earlier today.

All the things he had screamed at her echoed in her head. That he couldn't trust her... that she was dumb enough to put herself in harm's way. Among all the things he had screamed at her, these bothered her the most.

Everything he said was... Jade wiped away tears from her cheeks yet again.

It isn't fair. I didn't even get the chance to explain... Jade put the back of her right hand in front of her nose and lips. Trying her hardest to suffocate a sniffle that wanted to escape from her body. She didn't want Loren to hear her cry.

An hour or two passed. Jade wasn't sure how long she'd been in the library. She had drifted off to sleep at some point.

"Your grace." Loren suddenly said loud enough for Jade to hear. The metallic sound of his armor moving as he bowed made Jade alert.

It would most definitely be William, coming to apologize again.

Why won't he just leave me alone...? Jade thought and rolled her eyes.

"I don't want to talk to you. Leave." She called out without turning to look at William. Her throat felt tight. She was close to tears again by his very presence.

"I know, little one." A dark but soft voice said comfortingly. Jade quickly realized that it wasn't William. It was his father.

"Your grace!" Jade breathed and swiftly got on her feet. "I am so sorry... I... I thought you were him. Your son, I mean." Jade babbled from nervousness.