Chapter Three • First Looks

-Jade-

Jade was surrounded by her father's white rosebushes, they were her favorite. She used to hide among these bushes as a child whenever her mother was angry with her. This part of her father's garden had always been her favorite. 

The white roses reminded her of her childhood, and simpler times. A part of her life when she wasn't thought of as someone who had to be given away to some man. 

Tears ran down her face, she was still sobbing even though she had been here for hours. More tears trickle down her cheeks when she thought about that she was to be given away to a man she had never met. Was he her own age or was he old? Would he treat her kindly or just as a sow to provide him children?

"It's decided." She silently told herself, looking up at the grey clouds above. It would rain tonight. The color of the clouds were a very dark shade of grey. If she was unlucky, it would pour down on her in any minute, but she didn't really see how that could make her life any worse. Her parents, who she trusted the most, had went behind her back and promised her to a stranger.

"They gave me away to a stranger... and there is nothing I can do about it" She whispered. 

I could run away... The forest is right behind father's gardens. I could just...

Suddenly she heard a twig break and sat up in fright. She turned to the left and caught a glimpse of Iria whom was hiding behind the hedge separating the garden Jade was in and the one she stood in. Her dark hair was braided into two long braids, touching her elbows.

"What is it, Iria?" Jade asked softly while wiping tears away from her face. "Why are you hiding?"

"Why are you out here all alone?" Iria asked in return. Jade watched as her little sister walked towards her. "Why are you so sad?" She asked. 

Jade smiled, but it wasn't a happy one. "I'm sad because I don't want to go." Jade answered in the simplest way she could. Iria probably didn't understand what was happening.

"Are you scared that the man will be bad?" Jade gave her little sister a surprised look. She clearly understood more than Jade thought. "Mother says he is a nice man and... if he is, then you don't have to be sad, Jade." Iria said with a timid voice and sat down next to Jade in the grass. Iria looked sincerely worried about Jade when she met her eyes. "I heard them talking after you left."

"What did they say?" Jade asked, laying on her side. She laid her head in her right hand.

"They are sad because they knew you wouldn't be happy about this." Iria whispered. "Mother seems very sad as well. Father is rather quiet..." She added. Father usually didn't say much, even less if he was in a bad mood. "Will they be sad all the time after you leave?"

"No, Iria... They will only be sad a little while, then everything will be back to normal." Jade lied and felt awful for it. 

It didn't feel like her parents were going to miss her at all. If it hadn't been for Iria, she wouldn't have known they were sad at all. 

"I told mother that I didn't want you to go, but she got cross with me and said that I should be happy for you." Iria were a smart little girl. Jade felt sad that she would probably not be around to see her grow up and become even smarter. 

She gave her sister a quick wave, signaling for her to lay down next to Jade. Iria curled up next to her and looked at her.

"Do not worry, Iria. Everything will be fine." Jade whispered softly. She tried to let her own words comfort her as well, but on the inside she was falling apart.