Chapter Seventeen • Locked away

-Jade-

William didn't escort Jade to her chambers. When she asked him where they were going he didn't answer. The only thing she received was a glance, but no words left his lips.

Where are we going? Where is he taking me? Jade speculated as she noticed that they never went up any stairs. They continued through the castle and she started to recognize the direction. Where they heading to the part of the castle where the kitchen were located?

Isn't this the way to the room where I was brought when we arrived?

Jade's questions were soon answered and it proved that she was right. They had almost reached the kitchen when William stopped in front of a wooden door. They were standing in a narrow corridor with no windows nearby. There were no chance that daylight would reach this place during the day.

On the stonewalls torches were the sole providers of light.

What is this place? Jade thought and studied her surroundings anxiously.

The scent of cooked chicken was hanging in the air so they had to be very close to the kitchen. This meant that they had to be close to the room with the tub.

Why has he brought me down here?

"What are we doing here? This is not where I sleep." Jade told William, like he suddenly had forgotten where her chambers were, which obviously couldn't be the reason he had brought her here.

"This is your new... room." William explained with a dark voice. Jade looked at him and then at where they were.

What? Here? It has to be some sick joke.

"What do you mean?" she asked and chuckled.

William pulled out a key from his jacket. Jade took a step back but he caught her right hand before she could go anywhere.

"Jade, I don't want to do this... But it's for your protection." He explained and pulled her back again. He unlocked the door and opened it whilst looking around them for anyone who might see them.

"What..." Jade was lost for words.

William led her in to the room. It was smaller than the one she had had back home. The only thing that could fit into this room was a narrow bed, a desk with a mirror on it and a stool in front of it.

Jade turned around and William was big enough to cover the entire entrance. He closed the door behind him while Jade took in the size of the room.

"William... What is this?" she asked and felt a bit afraid and turned to face him. He actually seemed bothered by her reaction. Like it saddened him to see her this way.

"It's for your safety." William explained and pressed her hand lightly. Jade withdrew it from him and crossed her arms.

"Here?" she asked and couldn't help but to feel betrayed.

This is why he didn't tell me where we were going. She thought.

"For now." William answered and studied her with sad eyes.

"For now?" she whispered in dismay. "What are you trying to do? Lock me away so no one-"

William's hands carefully grabbed Jade's neck and his thumbs were stroking her jaws. She lost her breath when he suddenly stood very close to her. He eliminated all of the space between them and Jade put her hands against his chest to give herself a way out, if she needed one.

"I need to know that you are safe." He whispered and turned her face upwards and locked eyes with her.

"By locking the door?" Jade whispered and tears fell down her cheeks and onto his hands. William's eyes filled with agony and he wiped away her tears softly.