Chapter 23

I sit on the bench and look at Tetsuya and Taiga talking, "You cooled your head now?" Taiga asks looking back at the light blue-haired basketball player.

"Yes, anyway, I haven't met him for some time and he looks like he's improved a lot, just like Kise and Midorima. I have no idea about what will happen next, please, be careful," Tetsuya says seriously.

"That's nice to know that," Taiga smirks looking out at the court to see Daiki sweating from warming up properly over break, "Yo, done with the warm-up?"

"If so - resist until the last second... If you can!" Daiki says with a smirk.

"Third quarter, start!" The referee shouts as everyone on the side of the court sits down.

My eyes are drawn to Daiki and Taiga, on their one-on-one against each other. I see Taiga looking serious and Daiki with a little smirk. Daiki easily passes by Taiga with the ball and Izuki and another Seirin player go to block him. Daiki does a fadeaway and shoots the ball, three Seirin block him and it seems like Taiga knocked the ball out of Daiki hold.

I look at the scoreboard 51 - 39 to Too Academy, Taiga dribbles away with the ball. I smirk as I watch him, noticing no one is on him straight away. I look at Satsuki, who's shocked and looks at me, I smirk and she flinches looking at Taiga, as do I.  Just as Taiga goes to shoot, Daiki reaches him and blocks him.

'Faster... Taiga... Need to be faster...'  I think to myself and write down to do more stamina training for Taiga and the team but Taiga his own style. 

"That was a pity... It might have worked," I say and look at at the court, "Damn it..."

"We'll be okay right Juri?" Koganei asks.

"S...Sure," I nod as my eyes are on Daiki, "He's... Different..." I mutter, "His aura... Zone? No..." I whisper.

"What are you whispering?" Riko asks.

"Sorry just thinking out loud," I smile at her and she nods before we both look at the court.

As we look back at the court, Daiki is by the net, he jumps and is blocked by three Seirin players, his jump travels him behind the net, "He's behind the backboard!" Riko says happily.

"We stopped him!" Kogenai says happily.

I watch as Daiki shoot the ball over the backboard and into the net, "Don't get in over your heads with these guys," I look at the bench and smile a little, "They'll have something up their sleeves... Remember that."

"R...Right," Kogenai nods, "Sorry..."

"Why apologise Kitten?" I giggle at him, "I'm just saying, be ready for anything with them... Right, Tetsuya?" I look at the light blue-haired boy who nods.

I watch the match play out and think of new training for the team that I'd take up with Riko, like usual. I zone out a little as I focus on everyone's movements.

"Juri..." Riko catches my attention and I look at her, "What logic does Aomine follow?"

I laugh a little, "There isn't much logic to him, basketball is basketball... He played basketball before he knew any basic movements, always messed around in the street. His body, free and flexible style is simply the most natural choice," I say, "So... Going with logic... He doesn't follow logic... Only instinct, more street background," I explain.

"That makes sense..."Riko says and looks at me, "Anything else?"

"He's a panther..." I say unsure.

"You've said that..." Riko says with a smile and looks at the court.

"Sorry... In passing or shooting, Daiki never has a regular, non-changing movement... It's limitless, his guards can never learn from playing against him, he's the trump card of the Generation of Miracles and it seems he is that again for Too," I explain turning to the court, "He looks for an opponent stronger than him, in order to grow but he hardly ever is at practice, he never seems to lose his power, speed or... Anything," I sigh, "I'm not saying he's slacking or anything, his passion only shows against an opponent who he deems worthy," I say and look at her, "Understand?"

"Yeah, what should we do?" Riko asks.

I giggle and look at Taiga, "Have fun," I tell her with a smile, "That's what the boys need to remember, it's not really the journey, but how much fun they have on the court," I say and watch Taiga.

I grind my teeth seeing Daiki and Taiga focusing on each other, always ending up one-on-one, neither letting up through the match. I watch as Taiga ends up slightly struggling to catch up with Daiki, "Centre of attention huh?" I smile as I see the blue and red blur, rushing across the court, "One of your interesting traits," I say.

The two jump, Daiki goes to shoot and Taiga goes to block, Daiki looks at me and smirks, my eyes widen a little as the referee blows the whistle and I see Daiki shooting the ball over their backs and the ball goes in the net, "Daiki..." I look at the scoreboard 59 - 39 to Too.

"Twenty points ahead..." Riko says and looks at me, "Juri? You okay?"

"I'm alright," I nod and smile, glancing at her as she nods.

"Hey... There's no way you only have this much in store... Your team... Has to be better," Daiki says and I look at him, "The only person who can beat me one-on-one is myself. You can't beat me alone," Daiki walks to the bench, eyes on Tetsuya and he gestures him to come onto the court, "Come on, get over here... Tetsu!"

"Kuroko..." Riko says.

"Don't worry, I'm finished resting... I'm going on," Tetsuya says with such determination. 

"Let's duel," Daiki says and looks at me, "It's a shame you're on the court, I know it would be fun," He smirks, "But," He looks at Tetsuya who removes his t-shirt "Let me see... The true power of the new light and shadow," He says with his smirk.

"Tetsuya," I speak up and he looks at me, "Give it your all."

"Kuroko..." Taiga says and Tetsuya looks at him, "Sorry... Playing alone was much more tiring than I thought," Taiga says.

"I don't understand why you're apologising..." Tetsuya says and I giggle, "Didn't we plan to fight together? If it was that simple to win, nobody would need to work hard," Tetsuya says.

"Come Taiga, there's no I in a team," I smirk at him.

"Whatever," Taiga blushes a little looking away.

"Let's go!" Hyuga says.

I sit still and smile, "This will be a turning point," I say as I watch Tetsuya do his Cyclone Pass through the team to Taiga who successfully caught the ball.

I sit on the edge of my seat, watching the rest of the match nervously. My eyes are drawn to Taiga, Tetsuya for the remaining of the match. Taiga and Tetsuya put up a good fight against Daiki but Daiki keeps intercepting the passes, "Kuroko your basketball will never defeat me," Daiki says and I gulp looking at the scoreboard 82-51 to Too.

"Damn it..." I whisper and watch the last quarter of the match. Taiga was subbed out, due to getting too worked up, unable to play properly, Taiga sits beside me, "Calm the fuck down," I say and look at him, "Your legs, you think we didn't notice?" I glare at him.

"Juri... Shut up," Taiga says.

"Tsk, you think I'll stand for your chat?" I glare at him, "You listen to your coach, end of the discussion," I say.

"Juri... I'm fine," Taiga says.

"Yeah, tell that to your legs," I say.

"Can Juri go in?" Furihata asks.

"What?!" I look at him shocked, "Have you..."

"Not a bad idea..." Riko says, "But they won't allow it, I'd need to put in a request..." She looks at me.

I look at her and shake my head, "No... I can't, not a proper match," I tell her.

"If they allow it, we might need you," Riko looks at me, "Please..."

I take a deep breath, "As you said, you'd need to put a request for a female player... I can't join them unless it's accepted," I say.

I watch as Seirin get beaten but they never give up. They keep on pushing through till the very last moment. The benchers and Taiga continually say 'defence' and I watch Daiki and Tetsuya till the very end.

We were defeated, 112-55 to Too.