Chapter |4| Ballgowns

"Ball

"Ball." I spat out, horrified by the idea of having to attended a masked ball with a bunch of strangers, when all I want to do is fall on my bed and sleep for hours.

"Yes, the first event of the competition. The King thought it would be a good way of easing everyone into the competition and also entice viewers." The King sounds like an idiot, I wanted to add, but I knew that would only lead to more drama which I definitely don't need right now.

"Okay Flo, I'll leave you too it. Make her look stunning. We need to make an impression, remember." Flo eagerly nodded, earning a soft smile from Xander, before he leaves the room.

"So Ari, we will deal with the rest of your wardrobe later, but for now we need a dress. Think of a dress, any style, any colour. We practically have every type of dress you could possibly imagine. Remember though, it's a masked ball so perhaps something dark and sexy. The Prince favours dark colours, to bright ones. He lives his life in the dark." I wanted to ask what she meant with her last comment, but she thrust a bunch of colour palettes and fabrics into my hand.

The fabrics and colours were making me feel overwhelmed from the hundred of choices and the fact that I have no clue about fashion and what looks good. I mean, I've been wearing the same shade of blue, and the same long dress shirt for 18 years now.

Eventually I gave up and told Flo that she could pick what she liked. She seem concerned at first, but once I explained that her fashion taste is probably a hundred miles better than mine, she was fine with that.

She seemed to be in her element as she explained in a great amount of detail the dress she wanted made. After, she joined me on the bed and offered me a glass of cold water, which I took hastily.

My mouth is so dry that it hurt to even speak but I was afraid of asking for water as stupid as it sounds. I'm still unsure of what my place is here, a guest, a royal, a girl from the sectors, the future queen.

This whole thing is mind-numbingly scary. The uncertainty of the future is beginning to settle in and I know for sure that I'll either be trapped within these walls or trapped with man.

"You can't even imagine how much fun you're going to have. Balls, beautiful gowns, lots and lots of food. You are one of few lucky ones." Flo carried on prattling about how lucky I am and how she would kill be in my place, which didn't help to settle my nerves. 

I know girls would kill to be in my position right by now, Ivy being one of them. I also know they would kill to be queen and I have a feeling a few of my fellow competitors wouldn't mind a little blood shed if it meant scoring a place next to the future king.

After, she began to tell me all about her ambitions of opening up her own beauty parlour one day. Apparently she's a pro at styling hair and doing make up, making me silently thank Xander for getting Flo as my hand maiden, since I have no fucking clue what to do with a makeup brush.