Chapter |47| Notes

The next morning couldn't have come quicker

The next morning couldn't have come quicker. My eyes were sore from crying all night and I think it must have been three before I finally passed out.

I hadn't heard a word from Hardin or anyone really. Only Flo had bothered to ask if I was okay, when she came in with my breakfast. I decided to eat downstairs, mostly so she would leave me to my own sorrows, but that's when I realised I was letting the King win.

He wanted to break me, to scare me away and he had succeeded last night but no more.

The meeting only meant one thing, that I was a threat. And that meant I was close to winning.

For some reason, the King hated the idea of me on the throne. Perhaps because he thought a docile submissive Queen was better than one that would actually speak up. One that would try to inflict change.

I wore one of my favourite dresses. It was baby pink and was strapless with a sweetheart neckline. The hem fell mid-thigh and I attempted at styling my own hair by simply curling the ends.

I wore my star shaped necklace and chose one of the bracelets gifted to my by the Palace. I slipped on some simple white heels and applied some mascara and lip gloss.

I studied myself in the mirror.

I looked normal. Like a sweet teen about to attend her first party, not a girl competing in a royal competition.

If I lost then I hoped my new husband would allow me to dress like this. I hated having to rely on someone else to get me ready, despite how much I loved Flo. I wanted more independence and this small act was the start.

Perhaps my outfit was a little too much for breakfast in the dining room but I was going to look hot as hell.

When I arrived the room smelt like bacon and eggs, causing my stomach to growl. I grabbed a plate and filled it to the brim with all my favourites.

I then took a seat next to Rory and we got chatting about her meeting last night. Hers apparently went a lot better than mine. There was no mention of him trying to grope her or verbally attacking her so I when she asked about mine I simply replied with good.

"The meeting couldn't have gone a better way. I was scared at first but the King was honestly really nice. He said he liked me, and he wished me good luck."

"Please, of course he said that to you. You're like some silly little creature who needs attention every five minutes. One bad word and you would cry." Ivy pulled out the chair beside me and perched herself down. She was gloating, as usual, and the wicked glint in her eyes told me she was up to no good.

"That's not true." Rory snapped, although she the slight crack in her voice didn't help.

"Of course it is. If Hardin chooses you, it's only because he wants some submissive wife who's adequate at best. You wouldn't challenge him, you wouldn't make life exciting or adventurous for him. Even in bed, you would probably just lie here like a stick and let him fuck you any way he wanted." Okay, that was it.