Chapter |37| A Picture

"So, I just had a talk with Xander and he said that the competition is at seven tonight so you have a couple more hours until you have to get ready

"So, I just had a talk with Xander and he said that the competition is at seven tonight so you have a couple more hours until you have to get ready."

"Great." I muttered, slamming my book shut.

Another competition, another person humiliated by coming last.

Tonight's competition even had a live audience and apparently, it was going to be a really big deal since none of us were allowed outside.

"Ari, why don't you go out? Go to the gym or the library." I deliberated for a moment.

"I could check out the art room, maybe I'll bump into Astrid. It's been a while since I've talked to her." Flo nodded in encouragement and I quickly slipped on a pair of shoes, before leaving the room.

I still couldn't believe Hardin showed me the princess suit, I wondered if any of the others had seen it?

He hadn't said anything and I didn't dare to ask the others, in case of starting up an argument or stirring l some drama.

That was more Ivy's scene.

I was incredibly grateful for the kind gesture though. We spent about an hour in that room just talking and the more time we spent in there, the more homely it place felt.

After that he walked me back to my room, bidding me goodbye with a swift peck on the cheek. I was slightly dishearten. I expected more.

At least a kiss on the lips or a tight hug.

I pushed my thoughts aside as I opened the door. Astrid was sitting there, as per my suspicions, sketching away as usual. She turned her head and smiled at me, her face lighting up as she made space for me to sit down.

"Ari, hi. It feels like I haven't seen you in forever." She launched forward, wrapping her arms around me as she gave me a tight hug.

"Me too. Things have just been..."

"Crazy." We both laughed as she finished my sentence and then my eyes wandered over the multiple sketches laid out in-front of her.

I picked one up, my fingers brushing over the soft pencil lines as I traced the drawing. It was me.

"When did you draw this?" She smiled, looking down at the picture.

"I walked in on you in the library one day. You looked so peaceful with a book sat in your lap and you were smiling, yet you weren't reading the book. I wanted to capture the moment. You were so consumed by your thoughts that you didn't see me. I'm sorry, did I overstep my boundaries?"