Chapter |17| Betrayal

Tonight will be better

Tonight will be better. I won't have to strut around in a sexy dress in order to gain Hardin's attention or batt my eyelashes at the public in hopes of gaining their favour.

Tonight I have everything I need. I have Hardin, for one night only, but this one night is going to be considerably better than the rest.

It almost made all the embarrassment and tears from yesterday seem worth it. Almost.

I sat on my bed, knees up against my chest and a book resting in my hands. The sun was shining in through the open windows and the sounds of birds chirping filled my ears.

I wished everyday could be as peaceful as this.

Knock! Knock! I picked up my bookmark to mark my place and gently set it down. I ran over to the door and swung it open.

A smile instantly broke out on my face.

"What? Couldn't wait until tonight." I teased, opening the door up further so he could come in.

"I guess not. You're just too addictive." Hardin said with a grin, as he walked into my room and took a seat on my bed.

"I actually do have something to ask though." My interest was official piqued and I took a seat next to him.

"What is it?" I slyly crossed my legs and sat up a little straighter in the hopes of looking a bit more put together.

Not that pink short and a grey tank top don't scream professional.

"Well as part of being in the competition, each girl gets to ask for a gift from me. Anything you like?" I took my time thinking but when nothing came to mind, Hardin stood up.

"No rush, I'll come back later. I've got to go to each girl's room so I'm sorry I can't stay."

"No problem." His eyes flickered to the left and a small smirk rose on his face.

"Pride and prejudice. A classic."

"I like the oldies. The ones that tell a story about the traditional way of romance and love." He seemed slightly stunned by my answer but then quickly recovered.

"If you want I can acquire you some more books like that. I know a place that has them all." That did sound like a good idea and then at least I would always have those books to cherish if I did get eliminated.

"Okay, that would be lovely." He smiled and brought my hand up to his mouth. He pressed a small lingering kiss onto my fingertips, before leaving the room.

Woah. That felt so electric. My fingertips were still tingling and it felt as if his lips had never left them.

I decided to make use of my day and go down to the library. There were a few things about the history of the Palace I wanted to read up on and Xander told me that anything I wanted to know would be stored in the library.