Chapter |53| The Prince's Choice

The choosing ceremony

The choosing ceremony. The last leg in this ever lasting race that was finally about to come to an end.

And I stupidly told Hardin that I loved him. I stupidly confessed my deepest secret and in return, I got nothing.

I cried like I never had before, and I had cried a lot these past few months. I didn't leave my room yesterday, a part of me secretly wishing that Hardin would burst through my door and confess his love, or at least come and talk to me.

Yet nothing, nada. He simply didn't show.

My eyes were still red and puffy from crying myself to sleep. It had been two days since I confessed my love but the pain was still raw and hurting.

I thought I knew what a broken heart had felt like but I didn't until now.

It was the worst pain I had ever experienced, and I honestly thought that I was close to death. I loved Hardin, every part of my soul and body did, and yet that still wasn't enough for him.

I sat by my vanity, silent and looking like death itself, as Flo slowly brushed my hair. She knew I was hurting, fuck, she always did. The ring on her left hand sparkled brightly and my lips tugged up slightly as I got glimpse of it.

Yesterday morning I awoke to her screams. She looked like the happiest woman on Earth as she recounted the events of Friday night. Daniel had proposed. He actually got down on one knee and asked my best friend to marry him.

She made him work for her, of course, but in the end she said yes.

It was ironic really, whilst she was saying yes to marrying the love of her life, mine was breaking my heart.

"Ari, will you be okay?" I knew she didn't mean today, or tomorrow, or the next. She meant in general, since this could possibly the last time we ever spoke.

"I will." Hardin may have my heart but I would make sure to be a good wife or fiancé to whoever chose me.

I just prayed for...I didn't even know anymore.

She curled my hair, allowing my onyx locks to drape down my back, and slid in a single gold pin. My make-up was minimal, a coating of foundation with a glimmer of highlighter and some lip gloss.

I wanted to be myself. No more pretending . If Hardin wanted to marry me, he would have to choose the real me. Not the person I sometimes tried to be.

My dress was gorgeous, a blood red ball gown, with off the shoulder straps and sweetheart neckline. The skirt was ruched and a matching ruby tiara was placed atop my head.