Chapter |45| A Royal Affair

I was currently dying of boredom as I downed my third cup of punch

I was currently dying of boredom as I downed my third cup of punch. The picnic was anything but exciting. There were royals everywhere and all manors of pretentious old men roaming about.

Their lingering stares were enough to make me hide out by the buffet.

Flo was with her secret lover. She insisted on accompanying me down but I told her to go to her secret man, now known as Daniel.

Occasionally I let them use my room as a meet up spot but I always forced her to change the sheets afterwards.

Apparently they had been together for almost a year. His family didn't approve of their relationship and Flo was hoping that if I won the competition, becoming the Queen's handmaiden would be enough to change their minds.

I asked her what would happen if I didn't win but she cleverly evaded the question. I personally hoped that Daniel would come to his senses and tell his family to either accept Flo or stick it where the sun doesn't shine.

I'd met him once, a few days ago, and I definitely approved. He was attractive, charming, kind and definitely loved Flo. I was happy for her and I hoped desperately that she got her fairytale ending.

My dress was attracting many unwanted eyes. It was white, and very airy and light. The material barely fell mid-thigh and it had a deep v-neckline with thin spaghetti straps. The back had a bow and a cut across the middle, exposing my bare skin.

I was wearing white wedges to match and gold jewellery on my arms and hands

I wore no make-up, wanting to present myself as anything but superficial, unlike my nemesis, who looked as if she raided the Palace's treasury and dipped her face in a bowl of powder.

I grinned slightly upon watching her flirt with the mayor of Juniper.

"Boring isn't it? I've been to hundreds of these and each is more drab than the last." I turned to see a stunning woman standing beside me.