nineteen

"She walked through hell with a smile, because she owned her demons."

Aphrodite Harper.

"The bombing in Vienna wasn't Bucky." Steve said, as soon as the two of us were alone, making me look at him in surprise.

"What are you talking about, Steve? There's evidence it's him. Security cameras picked up his face at the scene."

"It wasn't him. You gotta trust me, Aphrodite." Steve pleaded with me, but I just shook my head.

"What do you expect me to do? Just take your word for it?" I asked, and Steve looked hurt.

"I saw Bucky before I got arrested. He was confused, he told me he wasn't there when the bomb went off. He was telling the truth." He tried to reason with me, and I sighed.

"Look you and Bucky are close so I'm not surprised that you think-" I starter, but Steve interrupted me, taking out the photo that was taken by the security camera of Bucky at the scene.

"Dite, why would the Task Force release this photo to begin with?" He asked, and I shrugged.

"To get the word out, maybe to involve as many eyes as we can?" I asked rather than answered, and Steve nodded.

"Right. Exactly, Dite. It's a good way to flush a guy out of hiding. Set off a bomb, get your picture taken. Get seven billion people looking for the Winter Soldier."

"What are you insinuating?" I asked, and then narrowed my eyes at him.

"Oh shit, you're saying someone framed him to find him."

"That's exactly what I'm saying."

"Didn't you and Sam look for the Winter Soldier for two years and find nothing?" I asked, and Steve nodded.

"We didn't bomb the United Nations though. That turns a lot of heads."

"Yeah, I understand that Cap. But still, that doesn't guarantee that whoever supposedly framed him would actually get him. The most it did was guarantee that we would."

Steve looked at the monitor, watching Barnes in a cell.

"Yeah, do you believe me yet?" He asked, and I shrugged.

"Let me process this. Go see Sam or that female friend of yours. I'll check in with you later." I said, and Steve nodded, turned around to leave.

Before he left, I called out his name.

"Yeah?"

"Don't do anything illegal for the rest of the day."

Steve chuckled.

"No promises."

I rolled my eyes a little, and leaned back in my chair as Steve left the room.

I messaged around my leg, checking the stitches and making sure it would heal up nicely.

What if Barnes was actually framed? How would that happen? The person in the photo looks exactly like him.

Technology has come pretty far these days, though.

If it's true, and Barnes is innocent, I need to tell Tony.

I stood up to head to whoever Tony and Nat were, until I saw flashing red lights and a siren ring through the building.

Barnes.

I immediately started running towards Barnes' holding room, and quickly found Steve and Sam arrive outside the chamber.

"What the fuck happened?" I demanded, and they both looked at me.

Sam raised his hands in defence.

"Not a clue."