twenty nine

"A queen will always turn pain into power."

Tony Stark.

After Aphrodite left, I turned to Pete, who was happily munching on his waffles.

He was happy here, and I liked having him around.

The kid made things easier.

I sat down with him at the kitchen table after making myself some toast, and we ate in comfortable silence as he texted his friend, Ned, and I thought about Aphrodite.

"So what's gonna happen to her?" Pete asked, breaking the silence and putting his phone down, and I shrugged.

"Hopefully Ross decides to leave her alone."

"And if he doesn't?"

I sighed.

"She'll go to prison, and I'll have to get her out."

Pete laughed, making me look at him, confused.

"What's funny, kid?" I asked, and he took a sip of his orange juice.

"She could just break herself out, she's done it before, right?" Pete asked, but he wasn't being condescending.

He was genuinely curious.

"If Ross is putting her in prison, breaking out will only make it worse. Either I'll talk him down to taking her out, or.." I trailed off, and the kid tilted his head.

"Or what, Mr Stark?"

"I'll break her out."

"How would you do tha-" Pete was cut off by the sound of my phone ringing.

It was Dite, and I picked it up quickly.

"Hey honey, how did the meeting with Ross go?" I asked, relieved to hear from her.

She was coming home.

"Hey!" Pete shouted, and I stifled a laugh as my girl giggled.

Her laugh was so perfect.

"Tell Peter I said hey, and it went alright my love." She said, making me smile. I knew it would.

"Did you take the car by any chance?"

"Which one?" I asked, and she chuckled.

"The one I drove." She answered, as if I should've known that.

I probably should have, to be fair.

"No, why?" I asked, and she paused before responding, her voice losing its happy edge, making me worried.

"I have a feeling I'm about to break out of prison again." Dite said, and I groaned.

"Do you need me to come and get you?" I asked, and Pete looked at me with a confused expression on his face.

I mouthed to him that I'd explain later, and she spoke again.

"Not here. Ross said he had a cell lined up for me in the highest security prison in the world. Think you can meet me there?"

Oh yeah, I know where that is.

"Yes. Stay safe, don't fight them." I instructed, and I could feel her smiling on the other end of the phone.

"I promise, I'll behave." She teased, hanging up the phone.

Good girl.

"What happened?" Pete asked, and I sighed.

"She got arrested. I need to get her out." I said, and he looked surprised.

"Do you want my help?" He asked, and I shook my head.