thirty

"Her soul is fierce, her mind is brave, her heart is strong."

Tony Stark.

Pete and I landed in Queens, and he directed me straight to the hospital, so he could see May.

Poor kid. He's only sixteen and he's lost both of his parents, and now his second mum.

I need to be there for him, especially since Dite isn't here right now.

She has no idea what's going on.

When did things get so difficult?

Pete and I walked in the hospital, and he hadn't stopped crying, which didn't surprise me.

"Pete, do you want me to wait here for you?" I offered, not really wanting to go in, since I didn't know May and that felt wrong to me.

I would stand next to him if the kid wanted me to though.

He nodded and approached the desk, which I stood with him for.

I could tell he couldn't get the words out, so I placed my hand on his shoulder and spoke to the receptionist for him.

"Peter Parker, here for his Aunt, May." I said, and she nodded, typing on her computer before looking at us.

"You're good to go in Peter, but you'll have to stay out here, Mr Stark." She said, giving me an apologetic smile, but I held my hand up to pardon her.

"That's fine."

She gave me a final nod, turning to talk to a surgeon on duty before I looked at Pete, who was staring at the door to a patient's room.

I assume that's where May is.

I placed both my hands on his shoulders, turning him to look at me.

"I'm not the best with comforting people, but I'll do my best for you. I'll be right here kid." I said, and he gave me a small, but grateful smile.

Pete turned away, walking over to the door, giving me a defeated look before walking in.

Poor kid.

I didn't know what to do while I waited for him. Hospitals are so sad.

Doing the best I could think of, I walked over to a vending machine and got a few bags of gummy bears, hoping it would make Pete a little bit happier.

If he didn't want them, he could always leave them in the cupboard for another day.

I took my phone out, and dialled a number, putting the phone to my ear, making sure Pete couldn't see me.

"Dolores from Queens Adoption, what can I do for you today?" A high pitched, perky voice came through my ears.

"My name is Tony Stark, I know a kid that just lost his parents and aunt. I don't want him to go through foster care, so I was wondering what I need to do to adopt him." I said quickly, trying to let it be a surprise for the kid.

"Hello Mr Stark, we can give you some forms, I will just double check this child is under the age of twenty one, yes?" She asked, and I answered quickly.

"He's sixteen."

"That's perfectly fine. You will need to pass a check that ensures you are fit to be a guardian, and after that all you will need to do is sign some forms. As long as he's happy to go with you, there should be no problem at all." She explained, and I smiled to myself.

"This check, is it online or in person?" I asked, and she chuckled.

"One of our employees will fly out to see you, just to make sure you have a nice home, and ask you a few questions about your job, which of course won't be a problem for you, Mr Stark."