fourty seven

"She was afraid of heights, but she was much more afraid of never flying."

Aphrodite Stark.

Tony, Nat and I were lying on the desk, surrounded by papers, and Bruce accompanied us, on the floor.

The time stone popped up on a hologram, and my thoughts drifted to Doctor Stephen Strange and why he would have given up the stone.

"That time stone guy-" Nat said, and Bruce coughed, interrupting her.

"Doctor Strange."

"Yeah, what kind of doctor was he?" Nat asked, and I felt the rise and fall of Tony's shoulders as he shrugged.

"Ear-nose-throat meets rabbit from a hat." He said, making me chuckle.

"Nice place in the village, though." I commented, and Tony nodded.

"Yeah. Sullivan Street."

"Bleecker." Bruce corrected him, and Nat gasped, making me turn my head to her.

"Wait, he lived in New York?" She asked, and I nodded.

"Yeah, why?"

"Guys, if you pick the right year, there are three stones in New York." Nat said, and we all sat up, surprised.

"Shut the front door."

•••

After we informed the others, we picked teams, and looked at the holograms of the stones and their location in time.

Soul Stone: Vormir (2014)
Power Stone: Morag (2014)
Reality Stone: Asgard (2013)
Space Stone, Mind Stone, Time Stone: New York (2012)

"Alright, we have a plan. Six stones, three teams, one shot." Steve said, and we suited up, walking up to the time machine Tony and Rocket built, wearing the suits Tony had designed for us.

Tony stood next to me, holding my hand tightly, knowing this was dangerous and we may never see eachother again.

He was going with Bruce, Scott and Steve to New York.

I was going with Nat to Vormir.

"Five years ago, we lost. All of us. We lost friends. We lost family. We lost a part of ourselves. Today, we have a chance to take it all back. You know your teams, you know your missions. Get the stones, get them back. One round trip each. No mistakes. No do-overs." Steve said, and I squeezed Tony's hand tightly, feeling the worry settle in.

"Most of us are going somewhere we know, but it doesn't mean we should know what to expect. Be careful. Look out for each other. This is the fight of our lives, and we're gonna win." He continued, looking over at Tony who smiled back at him.

"Whatever it takes. Good luck."

Rocket leaned over to Scott, looking impressed.

"He's pretty good at that."

"Right?" Scott responded, looking extremely excited.

"All right. You heard the man. Stroke those keys, jolly green." Tony said, looking over at Bruce while he typed some things in.