fourty six

"This lifetime has been a landscape of pain, and yet, flowers still bloom in it."

Aphrodite Stark.

"Do you think we'll be okay?" I asked Tony, and he nodded.

"Let's not think about it."

We started speeding up the strip to the driveway at the facility. And saw Steve sitting outside, looking in thought, and defeated.

Tony pulled the car up, rolling down the window until we could see Steve, who looked happy to see us.

"Why the long face?" I asked, fake pouting at him, and Tony chuckled.

"Let me guess, he turned into a baby." Tony said, and Steve shrugged, looking away, not really wanting to admit Tony was right.

"Among other things, yeah." He said, making Tony and I high five in triumph.

"What are you doing here?" Steve asked, and Tony got out the car, walking over to my side and opening my door for me as I stood up, following him to the back of the car.

"That's the EPR Paradox. Instead of pushing Lang through time, you might've wound up pushing time through Lang." Tony said, and I nodded to back him up.

"It's tricky, and it's dangerous." I agreed, making Tony smirk at Steve.

"Somebody should've cautioned you against it." He said, making Steve look amused.

"You did."

"Oh, did I?" Tony asked sarcastically, pretending that yesterday didn't even happen.

That's the Tony I fell in love with, the idiot.

"Thank God I'm here. Regardless, I fixed it." Tony said, and I handed him the device her brought to show the Avengers.

"A fully functioning Time-Space GPS. I just want peace." Tony grinned, pulling the peace sign and staring at Steve, who looked amused.

"Turns out, resentment is corrosive, and I hate it."

"Me too." Steve nodded, and I could tell this meant they were okay, thank God for that.

"We have a shot at getting these stones, Cap." I said, and he gave me a small smile.

"I gotta tell you my priorities." Tony said, and I nodded, placing my hand on his shoulder supportingly.

"Bring back what we lost? I hope, yes. Keep what I got? I have to, at all costs." He said, and I opened the trunk for Tony while he spoke to Steve.

"Maybe not die trying, will be nice."

"Sounds like a deal." Steve said, reaching out his hand for Tony to shake, and Tony eyed it off for a second, before grabbing his hand and shaking it.

I handed Tony the shield, and he held it up to Steve, who looked taken aback, hesitating for a moment before speaking.

"Tony-"

"He made it for you." I said, and Tony nodded, looking satisfied.

"Plus, honestly I have to get it out of the garage before Daisy and Nicky take it sledding." Tony said, making Steve nod, putting the shield on his arm.