fourty eight

"They say you can't have a rainbow without a little rain, but it's been raining for three days straight, and I'm beginning to think I'll never see a blue sky again."

Aphrodite Stark.

Tony, Steve, Thor, Bruce and I sat outside while everyone else stayed in the Avengers facility.

We were lost in our own thoughts after I told them that Nat didn't make it off Vormir.

"Do we know if she had family?" Tony asked, and I walked over to him.

He put his arm around me, and I leaned into his shoulder for comfort as he kissed my temple.

"Yeah." Steve said, letting a tear slip as he looked at Tony.

"Us."

Thor gave us a confused look, walking over to Steve.

"What?" He asked, and Tony scoffed, seeming equally as confused.

"I just asked him a question-" Tony defended himself, but Thor cut him off.

"Yeah, you're acting like she's dead. Why are we acting like she's dead?" Thor asked, and I tilted my head slightly, wondering what he was trying to get it.

"We have the stones, right? As long as we have the stones, Cap, we can bring her back, isn't that right?" Thor asked, getting aggressive as he looked at Steve, who was still crying.

"So stop this shit. We're the Avengers, get it together." He finished, and I shook my head.

"We can't get her back." I said shortly, making everyone's attention turn to me, and I looked at Thor, who looked visibly taken aback.

"Wha- what?" He asked, and I scoffed, crossing my arms over my chest.

"It can't be undone. It can't." I said, defeat laced in my tone as Thor laughed.

"I'm sorry. No offence, Aphrodite, but you're a very earthly being. Okay?" Thor started again, and I rolled my eyes.

"We're talking about space magic, and 'can't' seems very definitive don't you think?" He asked, and I shrugged.

"Yeah, look Thor, I know that I'm way outside my pay grade here, but she still isn't here, is she?" I asked, and he looked a little bit upset.

"No, that's my point-" Thor said, but I cut him off.

"It can't be undone, or that's at least what the red faced little shit head had to say." I said, moving away from Tony and walking over to Thor.

"Maybe you wanna go talk to him, okay? Go grab your hammer, you go fly, and you talk to him." I said, my tone harsh, but I quickly let my anger subside.

"Red faced?" Thor asked, and I shrugged.

"I don't know. He looked like a skeleton, but his face was red." I said, and Steve looked extremely taken aback.

"Cap?" Tony asked, and he looked up at me.

"Did he say what his name was?" Steve asked, but I shook my head, making him look back down.

"Why is it important?" I asked, but Steve dismissed me.

"It doesn't matter."

"It was supposed to be me." I said, changing the subject, knowing Steve probably didn't want to talk about it.

"She sacrificed her life for that fucking stone." I said, my voice breaking as Tony walked over to me, pulling me in for a hug.

"She bet her life on it." I cried, and Bruce grabbed a bench, hurling it across the lake.