thirty six

"Seek peace, but be ready to go to war."

Aphrodite Harper.

Tony and I locked eyes, and he looked upset.

We hadn't spoken about Steve in a long time, not after I asked him to get the other Avengers names cleared.

That was the closing chapter of the Avengers book.

Tony whispered a quiet 'shit', before turning to Wong and Stephen, not wanting to say his name.

"Probably Steve Rogers." I said, and Tony kept a confident face on, not ready to bring the suppressed memories to the surface.

Stephen sighed, looking at me.

"Oh, great."

"Maybe." Tony said, and looked at Bruce.

"But-" He said, and sighed as Bruce cut him off, not knowing about what happened two years ago.

"Call him." Bruce said, and I smiled at him sadly.

"I don't think that's going to happen, Banner."

"It's not that easy." Tony said and locked eyes with Bruce.

"God, we haven't caught up in a spell, have we?"

"No."

"The Avengers broke up." I said, and Tony nodded, looking at me, then back at Bruce to back me up.

"We're toast."

"Broke up? Like a band? Like the Beatles?" He asked, and Tony nodded, not really wanting to talk about it.

"Cap and I fell out hard. We're not on speaking terms." Tony explained, and Bruce walked over to him, giving him a pleading look.

"Tony, listen to me. Thor's gone. Thanos is coming. It doesn't matter who you're talking to or not." He said, and I felt my heart tear a little.

"Thor's gone?" I asked, and Bruce nodded.

"I was with him. Thanos decimated Thor's ship. He killed Loki. He almost killed me. He left Thor there to die." He said, and I let a tear slip.

Thor didn't deserve that.

Rest in peace, my friend.

I'll see you again one day.

I snapped out of my thoughts, turning to Tony, who hesitated before taking out the phone Steve mailed to him, ready to call.

He didn't though, because a rumbling sensation was felt below us.

It was almost like an earthquake, but I didn't think that was what this was.

"Say, Doc, you wouldn't happen to be moving your hair, would you?" Tony asked, and I turned to look at Stephen, who's hair was in fact, moving.

"Not at the moment, no."

I followed Tony's eyes to the large, hulk made hole in the ceiling, seeing debris flying outside.