Veteran x Player: Cold.

~

Veteran's POV~

~

Snow crunched beneath my feet as I ran to weapons. Every breath I took fogged up my suit.

Today's a freezing day in Polus, and I still have five tasks. A cold blizzard was brewing, and I could tell from the freezing wind that it wasn't getting any warmer.

I wrap my hands around my body, hoping that I could warm myself up.

My breath shortens when Captain's dead body is lying before me. He was cruelly stabbed.

I report the body and I get transported into the meeting room.

"Where?" Stoner asks.

"Weapons. Captain's dead, guys."

My body shook from the cold. 

Player stares at me for a long while.

"Well, I'm going to skip if there was no one nearby," Bro says, skipping the vote. The others do as well.

I sigh and skip the vote, and scurry my way to weapons. I was fearful and cold at the same time, but I tried my best to focus.

My heart drops when I hear footsteps approaching. I'm gonna die, I'm gonna die, I'm gonna-

"Veteran? Is that you?"

"P-Player?"

"Yeah, are you okay? You seemed a bit distracted during the meeting earlier."

"I'm fine," I lie, visibly trying to stop shivering. Player pauses when he notices my hands wrapped around myself.

"...You're cold...?"

"N-nope! I'm fine, Player. Really," I lie, my voice trembling. Player chuckles.

"So, why are you shivering then? Are you scared I'm the impostor or something?"

"N-no! I'm just, uhh, feeling bad for Captain...?"

Player narrows his eyes. "Riiight, as if you care about Captain. Seriously, tell me what's wrong, Veteran."

In all honesty, I wasn't shivering just because of the cold wind. I had a really big crush on Player-- one that I'll never reveal to him. He doesn't like me in that way, I know it.

The wind only gets stronger. I suddenly wish I was the impostor, so I could lock the door to prevent the cold wind from coming in.

I sit on the cold, metal floor and wrap my arms securely around myself. Player examines my actions for a few moments before sitting down next to me.

"Veteran, I know you're cold," he exclaims, crossing his arms.

"And you aren't?" I retort, my voice shaking. He shrugs and mumbles, "Not really."

All of a sudden, Player grabs my shoulders and pulls me into a hug. My face heats up at the sudden action.

"P-Player, what are y-you doing?"

"I'm warming you up, duh. Stay still."

We stay in this position for a few moments, until Player whips out his tablet.

"Player? What are you doing?" I ask. He clicks a few buttons and the door shuts completely. The snow inside of weapons melts almost immediately.

Player's the impostor. Oh shit, I'm dead.

I shake fearfully as he takes a seat next to me. "Veteran, what's wrong?"

"Y-you're the impostor?"

"Yep. Don't worry, I won't hurt you," he assures, wrapping his arms around me once more. I calm down at his touch and slowly wrap my arms around him, resting my head on his shoulder. I close my eyes and fall asleep peacefully.

~

"Omg, I ship it!"

"Shush, Gnome, he's trying to sleep! I swear if you wake him up..."

Gnome squeals. "Babe, look! Omg, they're so cute!"

"N-no, Gnome, stop-!" Player whisper-shouts. Footsteps exit weapons as I grumble groggily. 

Player huffs. "Uh, Player, are you okay...?" I mumble, still half asleep. He blinks in surprise before patting my head. "Yeah, I'm fine. Rest well?"

"R-rest?" My face suddenly heats up in realization. I fell asleep on Player's shoulder!

I stutter in embarrassment. "W-what flying pandas?"

"Uhh, what? Veteran, are you okay...?"

"Yup, gotta run, sorry!" I bolt out of weapons, running as fast as possible to security. I catch my breath and sigh.

"Veteran, aren't you with your boyfriend?" Gnome asks, entering security. My face heats up even more.

"H-he's not- he's not my boyfriend!"

"Well, do you like him?"

"N-no! He's just my best friend, nothing more! I swear!" I lie, covering my face in embarrassment. 

"Well, he really likes you. Besides, you obviously like him, you're blushing," she states.

"Veteran? Where did you go?" Player's voice echoes through the corridor. I beg Gnome to keep quiet as I hide beneath a nearby table.

"Under one condition," she says with a smirk. I grumble and whisper, "What?"

"Admit you have a crush on him, and I won't tell him where you are."

My heart thumps out of my chest. "F-fine, maybe a little bit. But he'd never like me anyway."

"Gnome? Have you seen Veteran?" Player asks. "Nope, but I have a question for you."

"What?"

"Do you have a crush on Veteran?"

"W-what? N-no!" Player exclaims, stuttering. "C'mon, you can tell me Player. I won't tell him, I promise."

Player sighs and scratches the back of his neck. "Okay, maybe a little bit. He's really cute."

Player thinks I'm cute? Player likes me too?

Gnome squeals and Player scoffs. "You said you'd keep it a secret. Besides, there's no way Veteran likes me that way."

He's so wrong, I thought, blushing. "Anyway, I'm going to look for Veteran. Talk to you later, Gnome."

Gnome waits until Player leaves the room before poking my shoulder. "See, he likes you too! Now, seriously, you should go after him," she says with a wink.

~

Player's POV~

~

Did I say something? Why did Veteran run away?

"Player, wait!"

"Huh? Oh, Veteran, there you are. What happened, did you miss a task or something-!" Veteran grabs me by surprise and hugs me.

Veteran is a few inches shorter than I am, so he struggles to grab my shoulders. "P-player, I have to tell you something..."

"Yeah? Is everything okay?"

"I- I like you too," he mumbles. I freeze in place.

"You do?" I whisper, and he nods. "Y-yeah, I've always liked you, Player."

I gently bonk my helmet onto his, before killing Gnome.

Victory.

And, in more ways than one.

Best. First. Win. Ever.

~