Chapter Fifty Four - Persephone

The day has arrived, and Mother waits at the end of the corridor giving us space to say goodbye. I look down at our clasped hands, and I feel the tears begin to build, threatening to overflow.

"I will see you soon?" I ask, wanting a little comfort and reassurance before crossing over that veil to Earth.

"Yes," he says, squeezing my hands causing me to look up. "Nothing could keep me away," he smiles sweetly, easing my anxiety.

Releasing a breath, I nod, "Bye, until I see you again." I turn but don't let go, our arms stretching between us. Sighing, I release my fingers, but he doesn't. I look over at him, smile despite the sadness, and try to let him know I'm okay.

Those silver eyes are still for once, and he appears to be handling it much better than me. My mind begins a downward spiral – maybe I care for him more than he does for me. What if this meant more to me? Why would the King of the Underworld want me? I'm nobody.

"I love you, Little Flower."

And just like that, all those thoughts evaporate. It's okay to doubt things. The trick is not to let them consume you. Is this relationship still new? Yes, it is. That's the beauty of it. It's just beginning, and we have many more memories to make. Does that mean their wont be any bumps along the journey? It is naïve to expect that. The bumps are what make the journey interesting.

"I love you, Hades," I said, pulling his arm and propelling myself into his chest. In one quick movement I bounce up and kiss him before rushing down the corridor. If I lingered too long, I wouldn't leave.

"Are you ready, my dear?" Mother asks.

Islow down as I approach and take a moment to look back. I hold Hades gaze as Ianswer "Yes" and try to give him a reassuring smile. I wave to himbefore reaching out and taking Mother's hand. The world simmers, and everythingaround us disappears.