Chapter Ten - Hades

My fingers rest against the cold stone of the arm that is my throne. The sparkling black stone had been retrieved deep within the center of the earth at the beginning of my ruling. Nilus had commissioned it to be built after my first twenty years. The base of it resembles roots coming through the rock floor taking hold of it. A few continue their journey around the back creating a spike like crown along the back.

The proceedings seemed to drag by today. Even though they had ended some time ago, I have yet to find the drive to leave. I welcome the silence after all the words and noise that floated around me today. Many souls needed an explanation for their new existence.

For the most part, there are souls except their fate, yes, they have questions, but there are always some that try to bargain back to their lives. Even the dead have to go through the stages of grief just as their remaining loved ones. But there are the rare ones that actually affect me.

I don't allow my expression to change during the hearings. I remain bored and uncaring while I listen to what they have to say. There is nothing I can do to change their situation even if there was something I wanted to do. Their time has run out, and I can not provide them with more.

But the mothers who have left their children unexpectedly are the ones that can threaten my composure. Though I know nothing of the feeling, they experience its the sheer agony that takes over their entire being that shines through. It's hard to experience first hand knowing their destiny is final.

The large stone doors creak open as Nilus hobbles his way down the aisle leading to my location. "Sir, you have a visitor," he says, coming to a stop before the step in front of me, bowing his head.

"Nilus, I don't wish to see anyone else today," I say, rubbing my fingers against my temples.

"But sir it's your sister" he answers his head still bowed and his eyes focused on the floor below.

"Nilus, please stop bowing."

As he straightens, I ask, "What do you mean my sister is here?"

Not once have any of my sisters ventured down here. My brothers have a hand full of time but never one of my sisters.

"Yes sir, Demeter," he says and only then does he rise entirely.

I straighten at the mention of her name. What would cause her to come beneath the earth now? After all this time and the years that have passed. My only answer to Nilus is a slight nod to which he shuffles to the large door holding it open and allowing her to pass.

Demeter strolls down the middle of the room. The long dress flows around her tall lean frame brushing against her ankles as she comes closer. Her dark blonde hair is intricately braided back and fastened against her neck.

She doesn't stop at the step but takes a seat on the arm of the throne, pushing my arm to the side. "Hi, brother," she says, crossing her legs and turning toward me.

"Hello."

She glances around, her face revealing nothing more than intrigue "It's beautiful down here, Hades." Her attention focuses on me as I cut my eyes at her.

"Demeter you don't need to do pleasantries. I know what it is and beautiful is not it" I say picking at the nonexistent fuzz on my jacket.

Glaring at me, she says, "It's not pleasantries, it's honesty."

She looks around taking in the jagged walls and the domed ceiling. The fire contained within the glass sphere that hangs directly in the center of the stones that make up the ceiling provides light for the entire room.