Chapter Thirteen - Persephone

Hollowness fills my heart as I look out over the meadow, for what could be the last time. Mother says this isn't forever but without giving me any other details, how am I to know exactly how long it will be?

I woke like any other morning, and I have been here since. I'm drained having poured every last drop of my energy into each piece of this land. Would they survive on their own? I have to have hope they can sustain without me. I provided them with the start they needed, and they have grown to be their own selves. I take in the sounds around me and store them deep within myself for a time in the future when I may need reassurance.  There is no dancing today just a haunting melody I sang during my exchange of energy.

My back is to the path, but I hear someone approaching. I don't turn but inhale the open air, holding it before exhaling. For a moment, the person that has joined me doesn't say a word. Simply being in this space with me.

But it doesn't last for long as my mother's voice interrupts the silence "He will be here soon, my dear."

My shoulders fall forward, and I look down at the wildflowers surrounding me. Reaching down I brush the tips of my fingers across their petals "I will see you soon," I whisper to them. I turn to make my feet carry me toward Mother. She reaches for my hand as I approach, tangling her fingers with mine. At the opening of the path, I turn back, allowing myself one last glance as tears begin to fill my eyes.

***

Mother tries her best to fill the silence as we walk back to the cottage. Her voice, along with the weight of her hand in mine, helps to block the hollowness within me. I tuck this moment away in the confines of my mind with the memories of the meadow.

She looks over at me. Her face becoming serious "It will only be six months," she says, squeezing my hand "Then you will be back with me. Give it a chance, don't go into it with a negative outlook because then it will only be just that."

I let her words sink in. Six months isn't that long, and I have been craving an adventure. This could be it. She's right if I go in with negative thoughts that's just what it will be.

"You're right Mother. I'm sorry, I will just miss you."

We stop outside the cottage. She turns me toward her and takes hold of my shoulders. Reaching one hand up, she rubs my cheek, her face softening, "And I will miss you, my dear."

My spine straightens, and Mothers smile widens with the change in the air. I feel his presence before I see him. With her focus still on me, she says, "Hello brother."

Turning away from her, I look toward the path just as Hades appears out of thin air. His clean-cut appearance is much like the other times I have seen him. Long black hair tied back at the nape of his neck, bringing all the attention to his handsome face.

His deep voice answers her, "Hello sister," but his gaze never leaves me. Silver eyes travel around my face, and his voice softens as he says, "Hello Persephone."

Chills run along my spine with the sound of my name on his tongue. My voice takes on a tone I have not heard before as I say, "Hello Hades."

His eyes widen slightly, but he quickly brings his expression back to neutral. He turns his attention to Mother "Demeter I'm sorry, but I can't stay, we have to get back."

We. We have to get back. The worry inside of me slowly begins to morph into excitement.

Mother nods "Very well" turning to me she asks, "My dear, do you have what you need?"

Looking her way, I smile at the optimism radiating from her, "I have to get my bag." Without looking at either of them, I walk into my home. The home I am leaving... for now. Taking hold of the handle of my bag, I stop short of the door as their voices float through the wood.

"Take care of her Hades, I don't want to have to explain what I will do if something happens to her," my mother's voice is cold, so unlike I have heard from her before.

"With my existence" Hades answers. They go quiet for a second, and I begin to open the door but stop as he asks, "You explained everything, correct?"

"Of course Hades."

Confusion slithers through my mind. What is he talking about? She didn't explain much about this situation.

"Persephone, are you okay dear?" Mother calls from outside.

Pushing the new information back, I take hold of the knob and open the door. I step out into the light for the last time for a while. I cut my eyes to my mother, attempting to read what exactly she is keeping from me. But she reveals nothing. She steps forward hugging me tightly. "You will be back before you know it," she says, kissing my cheek.

Smiling I don't answer but turn away from her. I meet Hades silver eyes, each of us staring for a moment. I look down as his hand reaches for me. Without reaching toward him, I stare at his pale white skin, apprehensive about what is to come.

"Are you ready?" he asks his voice, having a hint of uncertainty.

"Yes," I whisper, taking his hand without any more hesitation. My eyes widen as electricity courses the length of my body as we leave my home behind.