Chapter Sixteen - Persephone

His compliment caused emotions that I have not experienced before. The heat that filled my veins and the way my tummy clinched, oh my.

Walking beside him now, I can still feel the warmth pooling in my core. I let my hair fall to cover my face as the heat travels up, creating a blush.

My hair.

That is something peculiar that will take some time to adjust.

The stone carries throughout what I have seen of his palace — the floors, walls, and ceiling each their own kind. I wonder how big this place is. We have been walking for some time now, and strangely enough, for a place of this size, we have not witnessed another soul — not one.

We stope outside a beautifully carved door. A tree is the center of the carving. Each branch and leaf intricately cut within a thick slab of stone that makes up the door itself.

Reaching a finger out, I trace it along the line that is the trunk making my way toward the flourish of leaves.

"This will be your room while you are here," Hades deep voice says.

And just like that my tummy tightens once more in response.

He steps forward, opening the door to reveal a room unlike any I have seen before. Mother's cottage could fit within this space, and there would still be room to wander.

"I... uh... wow..." I ramble, attempting to get something articulated. I tentatively walk through the door. A vanity sets opposite the bed with a fireplace being the focal point.

"Is it to your liking?"

"It's..." I stop turning to look at him as I say "amazing."

Hades nods, glancing around "The rest of the palace is yours to explore. I only ask you to wait until our tour tomorrow before you do. There are certain places you may not wish to roam after I explain their purpose."

My eyes widen as my mind creates unpleasant scenarios, "I understand."

Nodding, he holds my gaze for a moment before tucking his hands into his pockets "I hope you rest well. Dinner will be delivered to you later. If you need anything, please pull the rope by the bed."

There indeed is a long white rope dangling from a hole in the ceiling.

"I won't be eating with you?" I ask, attempting to keep my disappointment hidden.

He stiffens, "Not this meal, I have some matters to take care of before our tour tomorrow."

"I understand," I say, dropping my gaze, "Thank you, I hope you sleep well."

Hade's face remains solemn as he steps backward toward the door. He stops before crossing the threshold, "I will come for you when it is time," and with that, he leaves closing the door behind him.