†hê åþþår†mêñ† ßµïlÐïñg

·:*¨༺ ♱✮♱ ༻¨*:·

-by HauntingHavoc

When I moved into the old apartment complex in the heart of the town, I was simply looking for a fresh start, a place to begin the next chapter of my life as a young adult out on my own for the first time. The building, with its beautiful balconies and creaky floorboards, had character, or so I convinced myself. It was only after I settled in that I came to realize the true facade of its character, embodied by a resident I wish I had never met.

It was a week after moving in when I first saw her. She was walking up the dimly lit stairs, just outside her door, which was directly bellow my own appartment. Dressed entirely in black, her pale skin seemed to glow in the shadowy corridor, and her dark hair framed a face that was... unsettling. Not because it was hideous, but because there was something not quite right about it, something oddly unsettling in her. Her eyes, a dull gray, seemed to flicker with a hint of something more, something deeper and darker. On second thought she was quite unique.

"Hi, I'm new here," I said, trying to break the ice with a neighborly smile. "Just moved in the second floor."

She regarded me for a moment, her expression unreadable, then, with a voice that was surprisingly gentle and melodious, she replied, "Welcome to the building. I hope you find peace here." There was a pause, a weight to her words that hinted at an unspoken meaning. "Not everyone does."

Her introduction was odd, but I chalked it up to eccentricity. We all have our quirks, after all. Over the next few days, we exchanged the occasional greeting, brief snippets of conversation that revealed little about her but piqued my curiosity further. She was an enigma, a puzzle I found myself increasingly drawn to solve.

One evening, as I returned from a late shift, I found her waiting in the hallway, as if she had known I was coming. "Can't sleep," she said, by way of explanation. "The nights can be... unsettling." Her use of the word unsettled me, echoing her welcome from our first meeting.

We talked for a while, about inconsequential things at first, but gradually, she began to share more about herself, her life in the building, and the people who had come and gone. There was a sadness to her, a loneliness that resonated with my own experiences of isolation in a new city.

It was during one of these conversations, under the harsh fluorescent light of the hallway, that I caught a clearer glimpse of her face. Perhaps it was the angle, or the way the light hit her features, but for the first time, I found myself thinking she was... well, a bit ugly. It was a fleeting thought, one I immediately felt guilty for entertaining, but it was too late. The moment the thought crossed my mind, the air around us shifted, growing colder, heavier.

She seemed to sense the change in me, her eyes narrowing slightly. "Do you find something displeasing?" she asked, her voice still soft but laced with an edge that hadn't been there before.

"No, not at all," I stammered, taken aback by her sudden intensity. "I was just... it's been a long day."

She smiled then, but it was a smile devoid of warmth, a curving of the lips that didn't reach her eyes. "Of course," she said, her tone polite but distant. "Well, I should let you get some rest. Good night."

From that night on, things began to change. I would wake to the sound of whispering outside my door, only to open it to an empty hallway. My doorbell ringing in unusual times, non stop. Objects in my apartment began to move on their own, disappearing only to reappear in places I was sure I hadn't left them. Shadows seemed to gather in corners, watching, waiting. The building, once merely old and quaint, now felt oppressive, charged with a malevolent energy I couldn't explain.

But it was her presence that haunted me the most. I would catch glimpses of her, standing in the hallway, always watching, her gray eyes now filled with a darkness that seemed to swallow the light around her. It was as if my single, unkind thought had revealed a side of her that was anything but human, a side that was now fixated on me.

I tried to apologize, to explain away my moment of shallow judgment as nothing more than exhaustion, but she merely nodded, her expression unreadable, and said, "We all have our truths hidden beneath the surface, don't we?" There was an undercurrent to her words, a darkness that suggested my apology had done nothing to change whatever course I had unknowingly set into motion.

The encounters grew more frequent and more disturbing. I would find her standing silently in my kitchen in the dead of night, only to vanish when I blinked. Once, I awoke to find her sitting at the foot of my bed, her eyes glowing faintly in the dark as she watched me sleep. Each sighting left me more terrified than the last, a growing sense of dread that clung to me like a second skin.

I began to research the history of the building, desperate for answers. What I found chilled me to the core. The apartment complex had been standing for not too long, but throughout its history, residents had reported strange occurrences, sightings of a woman in black who seemed to be both a guardian and a harbinger of something sinister. But it was her story that stopped my heart—a young woman who had lived in the building her entire life, her early years filled with pain and sadness, who had mysteriously faded away. They said she haunts the building, a lost soul seeking acceptance or perhaps revenge.

I realized then that my fleeting judgment of her had been a key turning in a lock, unleashing something I was ill-prepared to face. My apartment no longer felt like a sanctuary, each night a test of my sanity as she made her presence increasingly known.

The turning point came one evening when I returned home to find every light in my apartment ablaze, a stark contrast to the shadows that seemed to lurk just beyond the reach of the light. And there she was, standing in the center of my living room, her eyes now deep pools of darkness that seemed to draw me in.

"I just wanted to be seen," she said, her voice a whisper of despair and longing. "But not through the eyes of judgment. You saw me, truly saw me, and then you recoiled."

Her words cut through me, a reminder of the power of perception and the pain it can inflict. "I'm sorry," I said, the words barely a whisper. "I didn't mean to... I don't know what to do."

"Acceptance," she replied, her voice barely audible. "Acceptance is all I ever sought."

I nodded, understanding dawning on me. It wasn't just an apology she wanted but an acknowledgment of her existence beyond the judgments we so often make.

The hauntings didn't stop immediately, but they lessened in intensity, each encounter less terrifying and more... melancholic.

Eventually, I moved out of the apartment complex, the weight of its history and its resident specter too much to bear. 

The experience changed me and she remains a part of that old apartment building, a shadow among shadows, but in my memory she will always be a beautiful young girl, that deserved all the praise she was never given.

·:*¨༺ ♱✮♱ ༻¨*:·

ᓚᘏᗢ- i love this story sm. i've heard people say they always see her in this building, walking in and out of the front door as anyone would, and see her walk to the park, or the nearby paths. maybe they see another girl, with similar appearance to the Lady, but after all the times i saw the human side of Her, i believe that she is actually just that, a girl, still living yet cursed. this entire story seemed real to me, the way she appeared as a neighbour, the haunting that seemed simply as a ghost apparition, everything seemed genuine to me. i choose to believe this one, but i live it up to you to decide.

·:*¨༺ ♱✮♱ ༻¨*:·