30 Lust And Speed

Nova

My eyes flutter open at the sound of laughter. I quickly close them as the bright light blinds me seeping in through the open curtains.

The events of last night come back to mind, giving me a mild headache. My gut feeling tells me that I need to talk to Dallas in person before Monday. That I need to sort everything out. But how?

I roll over to Matt's side of the bed, reaching out to cuddle up against him. All I feel are cold empty sheets. I peek through my eyelashes and conclude that he's already up.

Another giggle seeps through the open window and I wonder who this adorable laugh belongs to. I rise from the bed and make my way to the window facing the beach.

A little girl about five years old sits on her knees in the sand. Koda is running around her, barking happily. I spot Bear in the water, being Bear chasing birds and seaweed.

I look around to see her parents. Strangely enough, it's only the girl with the dogs. I know Koda will never hurt her, but you don't leave your child with two dogs, right?

I rush to my bag to put some clothes on, feeling the need to go check on her and find it empty.
Okay, then this will have to do, looking at my satin top and shorts. People walk barer on the beach than this.

I run down the staircase to the terrace doors and stop abruptly. My heart melts at the sight in front of me. Matt sits on his knees next to the little girl, handing her a juice box. And the only thing I can think of is...

Why does he have juice boxes in the house?

I let my shoulder and head lean against the doorframe and watch the adorable scene in front of me. Matt calls Koda, she listens immediately and sits in front of the girl. I'm too far away to hear what he is saying, but I think she wants to pet her.

Her hand goes towards Koda and when she almost can touch her, she pulls back and shakes her head no. Matt shows her it's nothing by rubbing her fur.

It's stupid how proud I am that Koda just sits there and allows it. Bear is an unguided projectile, running in and out the sea chasing ghosts.

My eyes land back on the two. Matt takes the girl's hand and lets it make contact with her fur, earning a loud giggle from her. Koda takes it as a sign to give the girl a wet lick over the face. The giggles are going straight to my heart. I always imagined that I would be married and have kids by now.

I retreat and place myself sideways on the couch, pulling my knees to my chest and leaning the side of my head against it. I scan the room where I have been more than once, but it feels different somehow.

This is going to be my home for the next week.

I know he didn't force me to live with him, but did I have a choice? It was this or nothing.
And then we have the whole Dallas situation. I need to talk to him before Monday. I don't think Matt is gonna let me go back to central LA and see him, though. How is it possible that I got myself in this situation? Life is so much easier without men.

My head starts to throb again and my stomach decides to growl loudly. What's the time?
Only a quarter past twelve, which means I got three hours of sleep. That's why I feel like the walking dead.

I groan and push myself off the couch to find something to eat and maybe if I'm lucky painkillers.

Matt surprises me when he wraps his arms around my waist as I am rummaging through the kitchen cabinets.

"Hi, sweetheart," he mumbles and kisses the side of my neck. I freeze when his hands wander under my top and elbow him in the stomach, looking around for the little girl. Her eyes are too young for this. She's not in the house, thank goodness.