Squeak Cheeks

Matt

Nova had a phone call just after midnight. She wouldn't tell me who it was and she changed the subject each time I tried to find out more. I'm sure that she is holding something back from me and I want to know why.

"Are you nervous?" She asks, with a small smirk on her lips.

We picked up a rental car and are almost at her childhood home. The tarmac is turning into a dirt road, making me wonder what for a house she lived in.

"You tell me, do I need to be?" I catch myself sounding more agitated than I intended.

She gives me a questioning look. "Are we talking about the same thing here, or?"

I pull the car over into the grass and turn the engine off. It's not a good first impression when you walk in bickering.

"What's wrong Matt. Why are you pulling over?"

"Nothing wrong with me, but why won't you tell me who called you?"

She crosses her arms. "Why is that so important. Can't you just let it go?"

"Are you kidding me?" Raising my eyebrows. "Why just don't tell me, Nova. You're giving me the feeling that you're hiding things from me."

"It's not, I'm not.." She sighs softly, "Fine if you have to know. Dallas called me.

"Yeah so? Why do you feel the need to keep it a secret." Now I am irritated, what the heck is going on and why does it always have to do with Dallas.

Her silence drives me nuts and I spat "Nova! Answer." Making her twitch in the car seat.

"I can't explain it, okay! He said he called to wish me a happy new year, but he sounded not himself. He wouldn't answer how his new year's eve was and then he asked if I had talked to my father. Matt, he doesn't even know my father."

Indeed, It makes no sense. No reason to panic, though. Maybe he was drunk and blabbering.

She lets out a shaky breath. " There is something wrong Matt. I can feel it in my bones. Why else would he call and ask for something illogical like that."

My hand finds her thigh, squeezing it softly. "Sweetheart, what could be wrong. If there was, wouldn't your parents have called you.?

She shrugs. "I guess"

"Come here." Pulling her over the armrest into a hug. "You will see that everything is fine and even if things don't make sense, you can always tell me. I can help you with the tornado in your head."

Her cold nose finds my neck, making me shiver. "I hate that we're always bickering like this. Why are things always hot and cold with us?"

That is a really good question.

She pulls back and slumps into the seat. I give her cheek a little poke and she finally smiles. She hasn't smiled a smile that reached her eyes since the call. "Shall we go, my parents, are waiting.?

The dirt road took us to a huge and when I say huge, I mean gigantic log house. My jaw almost dislocated when it dropped and I ask myself why she seemed impressed with my beach house. This is way bigger with three stories and large windows. We walk to the back and I'm surprised there is a stable. You can hear the soft sound of horses neighing when we walk up the stone stairs that lead us to the first level.

A fireplace in the middle is burning and illuminates the stone path. Glass doors swing open and Nova sprints towards the man walking out.

"Dad!" She jumps right into his arms.