I Love you, goodbye.

Matt

I'm in the hospital hallway, waiting for Nova's father to come get me. I miss her like crazy and I rehearsed what I want to tell her, within the back of my mind the possibility she won't even listen to me at all.

I never felt so sick to the stomach as now. Not even when I was in middle school, playing the lead role in the Christmas Carol play and threw up over the first line of watching parents.

Sadly, this isn't a play nor a movie, this is real life. I would do anything in the world to be able to rewind the story we are in. Start at the beginning at Vixens, not act like the pervert, but ask her out like a gentleman. 

If I only get another chance, another dance, another smile, another of everything. I know I will never let her go again till the day I die.

She can't just say we are over. Can she?

The thought of it alone can destroy me. I try to swallow, but my throat is tight and dry, making the lump feel bigger.

"Matthew." Her father comes towards me and I know it's judgment day. In the next hour, I will walk out of her room, feeling utterly happy or utterly broken. My heart speeds up opening her door.

You got to be shitting me! Dallas?

Her mother smiles at me, reassuring me the little she can. She must see I need it.

Dallas doesn't acknowledge my presence and has his eyes locked on Nova, I assume. I don't need him here, not when I need to talk to Nova. He already got his fun when he watched me break down. He tried to cover the smirk on his face, tried.

I close my eyes for a second, taking in a deep breath of air, and face Nova. Her eyes are moist and not looking my way.

"Sweetheart." It comes out in despair.

She presses her eyelids shut and a tear runs down her cheek. I take a step in her direction and she takes in a sharp shaky breath, murmuring "No... no." Her lower lip quivers and out of habit I reach out to her.

"Don't touch her!" Dallas growls at me.

What the heck.

My blood bangs against my temples. He has a nerve and I'm ready to give him a piece of my mind. Maybe he can fool Nova, but I'm done with his constant need to be around her in hopes she falls for him.

I clench my fists and Nova's father steps in. "Dallas, we are going to grab a coffee. If you agree with me or not!"

He doesn't move and Nova needs to tell him it's okay before he is willing to step out. The room is filled with a tense silence and I'm scared to start talking.

"How are you feeling, Nova?" I don't know if calling her anything else is helping my case.

"I'm okay." She says it without convincing me. Her voice is too fragile and her expression too sad.

I nod and move one of the chairs next to the bed. "Has your father said anything about me?" Maybe he told her things aren't as they seem.

"No." Okay, guess not.

I reach out for her hand again. Stupid idea, she moves away and looks at me disapproving. "Don't try to touch me, Matthew."

Matthew. Her calling me feels like a knife in the heart.

Everything I want to say is jumbled in my head and I'm overthinking each word "Nova, I... I love you."

Her whole face contracts, her nostrils open wide, and her jaw starts to shake with her bottom lip. "You love me?! "