58 My Bathrobe

Nova

"Chica, eat." Hannah nudges me in the shoulder and gives me a mug with steaming tea. Tonight is the night.

I rub my hands over my face, trying to get rid of my sleepy state. Nights were true hell last week. I'm sure the text was from Dean, who else could send it.

Hannah sits next to me, rubbing her hand over my back. "Maybe you should take the day off? Go to Matt.."

I shake my head. "No, Carrick sees me coming. I'm lucky enough that I didn't already lose my job and we have to finish the assignment today. He will kill me if I don't show up." And if he doesn't, Dallas will.

Dallas didn't show up for the interview. Not that I expected him to. We didn't talk about it after and I'm not sure he saw it. I wish he would talk to me the way he always did. He acts as I hurt him in the deepest way possible. I thought he was opening up after his approach at Tafflers. That he was ready to tell me what is bugging him and why he feels hurt, but no.

I had a great weekend with Matt in the cabin and I want to hold onto that vibe.

I got Dallas Starbucks, thinking things were better between us. The face he made when I walked into the open space made me stop. He mumbled something, shook his head, and walked away. It's eating me away not knowing what I did. Nevertheless, I feel guilty, guilty for hurting him to the point he no longer wants to be in my presence.

*

"I'm gonna pick you up for lunch and no, you don't have a choice." Hannah gives me a quick hug before the elevator door opens onto my floor.

I miss the days I looked forward to going to work. I cross the open space and take my chair next to Dallas, who doesn't even bother to look at me.

Fine Dallas.

I start my computer and my Ipad, take out my notes and go over the last details. My head is already throbbing and I didn't even start. There's more than one thing I need to do with Dallas. I sigh and look at him.

It takes minutes, or maybe it feels like it before he acknowledged my presence. "What?!" He barks.

I can't take this, not today. My lower lip trembles and I feel the burn building up behind my eyes. You're not gonna cry, you're not gonna cry! I dig my nails in my palms, pressing the hurt away. "We need to work together to get this finished."

"I know that!" His eyes shoot daggers at me.

What the. "Look, Dallas! I did something to hurt you. You made it very clear. But if you don't tell me what I did, I will never be able to clear it."

My mind speaks with my heart hurting and he can have it the way he wants. "You're not willing to talk about it and treat me like this, God knows why. I'm done Dallas, you better prepare yourself for a new colleague. Because I will bring it to Carrick and I will ask for a switch when we finish this. " I stand and rush to the elevator, pushing like a maniac on the button.

My heart is pounding like crazy and my tears are running down my cheeks. The doors finally open and I'm glad no one is inside to see the state I'm in. The wind wipes against my moist cheeks when I find myself outside the building. I walk to the side into an alley, out of prying eyes, and lean against the wall. I never cried so much in my life, not even with Dean.

In the distance, I hear Dallas calling me. So now he wants to talk? I push my back against the wall, hoping he will walk past the alley without seeing me. I let out a sigh of relief when his voice drowns out. He probably walked in the wrong direction or back into the building.

I take deep breaths to steady my heartbeat and wipe my cheeks. Slowly, I calm down and decide to head back. I rub my face and take one last breath before turning on my heels and directly stop my steps.