Backfire

Dedicated to @fadedmystique

Dallas

"Good morning." Says a soft female voice.

Expecting Nova, I give a wide smile, locking my eyes in ice blue ones.

She is cute, I can't deny it. I wonder what she is doing here. "Hi, can I help you?"

Pulling Nova's chair out, she takes a seat. "This is my first day. I told myself to go talk to the first person who looked nice." She gives me a radiant smile. " I'm Reaven." Extending her hand.

"Dallas." Shaking hers. "First days always are a pain in the ass, aren't they? Turning my chair to her.

"Yeah, it's pretty nerve-racking. Are you gonna have nice colleagues? Pray that you don't fuck up your first assignment. It's like high school all over. The first day tells you if your gonna have the time of your life or you're gonna spend lunch locked up in the lavatory."

"You indeed look like a person that didn't fit in, in high school " I snort. "I bet you belonged to the popular girls."

She slaps me playfully on the arm. "Okay, busted." Her fingers pick up a strand of hair and she begins to twirl it. "Dallas, are you named after the city?"

I feel myself flush a bit. It's such a cliché to name your child after the city you were in. Ugh. Made.
My eyes land on her arm, covered in a black and gray rose tattoo sleeve.

"I take that as a yes, then." She giggles.

My nose scrunches and I admit it with a nod. A shadow shifts behind Reaven and when I look, Nova stands there frozen with Starbucks in her hands

"Good morning, Angel." is it me, or is she pouting?

Reaven turns to see who I am talking at. She lets out a soft oh.

Nova's eyes don't leave mine and I wonder if I'm seeing a glint of jealousy running through them. She recovers quickly and walks toward us, handing me one of the cups. " Good morning Dallas"

I hear her breath hitch looking at Reaven. That's weird, do they know each other? Reaven displays a shy smile and introduces herself.

She goes right for the price asking what Nova and I are to each other. I bite my lip to stop myself from grinning. I saw it right if Reaven saw it too. Nova dismisses the question before Reaven had the chance to say the whole sentence. 

I saw the clenching of her jaw and the eye-rolling when Reaven showed a not so discreet smile.

What the f, is she jealous?! My heart does a little summersault. You can put this to your advantage Dallas!

My hand sneaks around her waist, pulling her on my lap. "umpf" Damn, her elbow hit me nasty in the stomach didn't see that coming.

"I better get to my desk," Reaven says while standing up. "Are we still going for lunch?"

Lunch? I guess I missed a thing. One look at Nova who is trying not to explode and a devilish plan unfolds in my head

"Yeah, sounds great," I say.

She gives me another radiant smile and Nova a small nod, before turning around and almost smacking her long black hair on Nova's face.

Nails dig in her palms, looking at how Reaven walks to her desk with a little more swinging of the hips than necessary. Girls can be so... Mean I want to say, but that's not the right word.

*

Again, I'm having lunch with Reaven. She is making it a daily thing now. Wednesday, I asked Jaimy and Hannah to accompany us. Reaven is real nice, but she doesn't shut up! She drives me crazy with all her blabbering. It's blabbering or kissing. I texted Jaimy, asking if they would meet us here. I'm glad Hannah gets along with her, giving my eardrums some time to heal.