Queen Hartley

Nova

"You got to be kidding me." I sigh.

After traveling for fourteen hours we stand in front of Matt's childhood house. I'm exhausted and I look like death warmed over, wearing sweatpants, a baggy sweater and I am lucky no pigeons lay eggs in my hair, right this moment. The fatigue is breaking me up and all I want is to take a warm bath, snuggle under the covers, and have a decent amount of sleep.

"Matt, can we please go to the hotel and freshen up. I want to make a good first impression and this." pointing at my face. "Is not good."

Matt hugs me and I melt in his embrace. "Sweetheart, you look fine and we aren't going to a hotel, we're staying with my parents."

No. Freaking. Way!

"You're joking, right?" staring open-mouthed at him. "Matt! You told me we are staying at a hotel!" frustrated, I pull my hair.

"Sweety, don't make a big fuss out of it. It's a Hartley tradition. Everyone is sleeping at my parent's house on the holidays, just like old times."

If I wasn't this exhausted I would have put up a fight. "Fine." I sigh. Ready to go anywhere and get some sleep. Thinking about it, he probably counted on me being too weary to argue.

"They gonna love you, don't stress." giving me a warm kiss on the forehead.

I roll my eyes. "Sure! Because I and Alita are like two peas in a pod."

He has a key and we are standing outside, freezing our asses off for nothing. I forgot how cold it is on this side of the planet around Christmas.

The smell of cinnamon fills my nostrils when we walk in and a flashback of my mom, Luna, and me making apple pie disturbs my mind.

A man in his late fifties walks toward, wearing a dark blue suit with a crisp white shirt under it. Silver slightly curled hair and blue eyes. Matt looks like his father.

He pulls him into a hug and says, "Welcome home, son." His father turns my way and I want to hide.

Why didn't you tell me, Matt! At least I would have put on some clothes that don't make me look like a hobo.

"And this lovely lady must be Nova." Extending his hand to me.

"Nice to meet you, Mister Hartley" Blush crawling up my neck.

He scans me from head till toe " I like you already! You look... normal."

I give him an uncertain smile "Thank you?"

"Don't tell my wife I said that." Winking at me. "You two can go upstairs, take a shower and get some rest before your brothers get here."

"Where is mum," Matt asks out of the blue.

"Your mother is out, spending all my money on Christmas gifts. You have to wait before you can introduce Nova."

Thank the lord! The gods are looking after me!

His father helps us with our luggage, leaving us alone in Matt's old bedroom. It's a large room with fluffy Bordeaux-colored carpeting. In the middle stands a kingsize bed facing a window that is looking out on the garden. The room doesn't look like it belonged to a teenager, more like a guestroom.

My eye lands on a framed poster and I chuckle. Of course, why am I not surprised.

Matt sticks his head out of the bathroom. "What's so funny?"

"That you're a fan of him." Pointing at the poster "It makes sense, though. Which boy doesn't want to be the hero and save the world while shagging all the pretty girls. Who weirdly never mind that he leaves and doesn't come back because duty calls. That's every man's dream!" I chuckle.