Mistake

Mature content in this chapter. You're welcome or warned, it's your choice.

Nova

"Matt, " I say again, my voice in a more warning tone. He looks confused and he should be. I just told him I want us to act normal. Yet, I'm not sure if I want him to hold me, kiss me. It's not fair to him that I'm the one controlling the possibility of physical contact between us.

He clears his throat and removes his hands from my waist. "I'm uh. Let's eat, you must be hungry after the ride." He plasters a smile on his face and I hope he does a better job when he is acting on screen. I slide back into the other corner of the rocking bench and I force myself to think I made the right decision.

Matt fills my glass with orange juice and hands it to me. "What would you like?" Pointing at the plate filled with sweet treats and sandwiches.

"The scones of course." Getting a small smile from him. "With clotted cream and I want a salmon sandwich."

I watch him cut the scones in half and grease them with clotted cream. His hands are unsteady, shaking even. I have to focus on something else or I will crack.

The rocking bench keeps on cracking and squeaking with every move Matt makes. I gaze at the bolds in the ceiling, holding the wooden thing up in the air. The ropes look strong enough to hold us even though they're beginning to fray. I hope we're as strong as those ropes, holding on when heavyweight is put upon us. Testing us over and over when the weight shifts, adding pressure on another already fragile spot.

Matt gives me the plate with my scones, without the sandwich. I chose to ignore it and take a bite under Matt's intense gaze. He knows I'm uncomfortable when he watches me eat. I guess the inpatients of knowing if I like the scones make him forget.

"You sure you didn't buy them?" Crooking my eyebrow at him.

I can see his body relax, letting out a sigh of relief. "They're good?"

"Try it yourself." I take one off my plate and feed it to him. He holds me by the wrist while eating it and I'm positive he can feel my pulse quicken under his fingertips. I clear my throat, focusing on something else and the warmth of his touch disappears.

I help myself to the salmon sandwich and something that looks like a pecan pie. Not the best combination, but it will keep my mind off  Matt's soft hands, his eager lips, the muscular curve by his hip, which I love to lay pecks on. Okay, Nova! Stop it.

Stuffing my mouth with the last scone, I wonder if Matt has the same sinful thoughts as me. It's like he can read my mind, groaning when I lick the clotted cream off my fingers. That's definitely a yes. I extinguish the heat spreading through me with the last gulps of my orange juice.

"So what are the plans for the rest of the day," I ask. The day is halfway through and if we are going to stay on the porch, this rocking bench may not survive at all.

Matt gazes over the lake."I didn't really make plans." Oh crap. "I hoped we could have a nice afternoon, maybe even an evening. Depending on how the afternoon goes, of course."

Of course.

"Okay." What else is there to say.

I fiddle with a fray sticking out the ropes and Matt stares straight in front of him. Totally not an awkward tension at all. I sigh and scratch my forehead. "You're mom called me last week."

"I heard."

Okay! Come on Matt, don't be like this.

"She said you're calling her daily." No response.