chapter 04

a reminder that draco here will be different to draco in books & movies because he has a nice sister.

CARINA'S POV

Before I know it, it's already end of term. I watch as Fred and George leave the station with their parents. George spares me a second glance, offering me a parting smile before Fred pulls on his arm a little too hard. I roll my eyes, it's clear he knew he was looking back at me. "Wanker," I mutter under my breath. Draco looks up at me, raising an eyebrow, pretending to be offended. I snort, "Not you, Dragon -"

"Draco, Carina," my father's voice sends shivers down my spine. Oh, how I dread going back home. Draco and I bow our heads slightly as a greeting, "Your mother's waiting for us," we exit the station in silence. I do my best to avoid everyone's gaze. I hate it when they stare.

The drive home is long and I try to stay as quiet as possible as my father begins asking questions to my younger brother. "What about you, Carina? Have you tried out for Quidditch?" My mother asks, looking over at me with interest. I wish.

I open my mouth to respond but my father lets out a humourless cackle, "Narcissa, please," he scoffs. "They don't allow women in the Slytherin Quidditch team... And why would they? Such a rough sport. They're not made for that. Carina's not strong enough," I purse my lips but say nothing in return. I'm stronger than Draco, I know that much. "They'll accept you on your next year, son, don't worry about it," father turns to look at Draco, nodding at him, seeming quite sure of himself.

Unfortunately, Draco didn't land a position this year. We both knew it was a long shot, it wasn't often that first years got accepted into the team. However, Harry Potter did. That didn't sit well with Draco.

"They've only let him on the team because he's Harry freaking Potter!" He snapped, glaring at nothing, arms crossed with an angry expression on his face.

"I'm not so sure that's true, Dray," I said softly, reaching over to stroke his back in support. He turned to me, looking as if he'd been shot."He's not half bad, and neither are you! It's just that it's harder to get into the Slytherin team... They don't accept first years, we knew that," I reminded him, sighing in relief once he plopped down on the couch next to me.

Without saying anything, he rested his head on my shoulder, exhaling deeply, "I'm good too," he mumbled, voice tiny. Draco was feeling insecure, that's why he was lashing out. It all made sense when I realised that.

"You're good too," I agreed, reassuring him by patting his leg softly.

Handling rejection is never easy, even less so when you don't think you deserve it. Draco is one of the best flyers I've ever seen and it was disappointing to see his dream get taken away. Harry became the youngest Seeker in the last century, which only made matters worse. "He's a blood traitor," Draco spits, making me turn around to look at him. My father cocks an eyebrow at his words. "He hangs out with Hermione Granger... she's muggle born," he tells dad, who's lips twitch with disgust. Mum's looking out the window, not being a part of the conversation.

"Can't say I'm surprised," says Lucius under his breath, gripping his cane angrily, knuckles white. "That's what being an orphan will do to you. There's nobody to teach him right from wrong - plus, his mother was a Mudblood as well. Of course, he'd be acceptant of that breed," his statement cuts through me like a knife. My breath hitches and I look at the carriage floor when my dad's eyes land on mine, trying to avoid his gaze. "Something wrong, Carina?" He asks, tilting his head.

"N-No, father," I stutter out, shaking my head. "I'm just not comfortable with that word," I find myself admitting. Suddenly, I feel his cane under my chin, forcing me to look up into his cold, grey eyes.