chapter 14

sexual themes, alcohol, cigarettes and drugs are involved in this chapter; content marked +13.

carina's outfit above. fred's at the end of the chapter.

NARRATOR'S POV

It's finally the twins' birthday, and they couldn't be more excited. Actually, they could, since they still have to go to class and study for their O.W.Ls during the day - which is supposedly what they are doing now. The Emerald trio are sitting on a separate table, not far away from the Gryffindors, it's just to keep up appearances. If any other Slytherins saw them hanging out outside of a party, and talked to their parents about 'Carina Malfoy being friendly with the enemy'... Well, then Lucius would have a thing or two to discuss with his daughter.

"What's the answer to number eight?" Asks George loudly, making Carina look up at him from her spot. At his table, Harry, Hermione and Ron took the empty seats next to Fred and Lee for a bit of studying themselves. The twins weren't happy about it at first but they let it happen after Ron gave them some candy. Snape had given the Fifth years some revision questions to get them ready for their exams about five days ago. They were to hand them in tomorrow.

"Seriously?" Carina raises an eyebrow at him, shaking her head with a chuckle, "George there's more than a hundred questions on here and you're in number eight?" Adrian and Cass smile as George shrugs nonchalantly, resting his legs on top of Ron's lap for extra comfort. "It's moonstone," she tells him, looking back down at her book.

"Wicked," chorus the twins, writing down the answer before going back to silence again. Potions is one of Carina's favourite subjects. It would be her favourite if there was no Defence Against the Dark Arts. Yes, Lupin may have something to do with said fact, but she truly loves duelling more than anything else they teach at school. Perhaps if there were piano lessons or language classes it would be different.

Her thoughts are interrupted when Fred speaks up, "How about number nine?" Carina rolls her eyes, but looks up at him anyway. The moment their gazes lock, her heart skips a beat. They hadn't spoken since the Montague incident. Adrian and Cass had told her what he'd done and said, it was fuzzy in her mind... however, she dismissed it, telling them he just took the chance to beat up a Slytherin. It was a shock when Tonks' gift began vibrating against her pocket right after she finished speaking. She still had no idea what that meant, so she ignored it.

Carina remains calm and shakes her head at him, "Oh, c'mon Malfoy, it's my birthday," he insists, almost pouting in her direction.

The green eyed girl thinks about it for a second before looking down at her parchment and searching for the answer, "What do I get in return?" She asks, a smirk setting on her lips when she finds it.

"You didn't ask George for anything and you just gave him an answer," Fred points out, furrowing his eyebrows.

"Well, of course I didn't ask George for anything, I quite like George," Carina retorts. The younger twin cheers, giving Fred the V sign to seal his victory. Fred shoves his shoulder, narrowing his eyes and turning to Carina. "Don't even try to get him to ask, I won't let him tell you."

Fred sighs deeply, resting his forearms on the table, leaning into them slightly, "What d'you want, then?" He questions, intertwining his fingers. A sly smile appears on his face when he sees Carina staring at his hands for a few extra seconds, he has long fingers. She snaps out of it quickly though, biting her bottom lip as she pretends to think.

"Wait, I know! No more pranking First years," she says with a stern look on her face. Fred scoffs, crossing his arms across his chest. Was it really that big of a deal? "I mean it," she adds when she sees how apprehensive he is. "No First Years shall be included in your pranks: no Gryffindors, no Hufflepuffs, no Ravenclaws and, of course, no Slytherins," she mimics his previous stance, resting her weight on her forearms. "Do we have a deal?"