chapter 53

tw: may increase anxiety, mentions of death

NARRATOR'S POV

As Harry speaks about what he just saw, Carina blinks. The world around her starts moving in slow motion and her weight betrays her, causing her to fall back. She sits on the ground in front of Harry, her arms heavy by her sides when Draco makes his way to her. She can see his mouth moving, saying words, but she can't hear him at all. Draco shakes her shoulders lightly, " Nina! Nina, can you hear me?" He asks, turning towards Hermione and Harry. "What did you say to her? What's going on?"

"It's my dad," croaks Carina, her eyebrows furrowed in a deep frown. Draco's eyes widen at her statement. Sirius? Carina turns to Harry, a desperate look on her face. "We -"

"- We have to go," finishes Harry, taking Hermione's hand and getting up from the floor. Draco helps his sister up just as Ron walks over to them along with Lee, Cass and Adrian.

"Harry, are you sure?" Questions Hermione once they are all caught up with what's going on. The group walks into the castle hastily, making their way upstairs, following after Harry and Carina.

The tanned skinned boy turned to his friend, seemingly annoyed by the implication. "I saw it, Hermione! I know what I saw," he claims, turning back around and continuing to walk. "It's just like with Mr. Weasley," he says, "It's the same door I've been dreaming about for months, I just couldn't remember where id seen it before..." Explains Harry. Adrian and Cass share a suspicious look, but say nothing. "Sirius said Voldemort was after something, something he didn't have last time and it's in the Department of Mysteries," he finishes, sounding sure of himself.

Hermione bites her bottom lip, taking Harry's wrist between her fingers. "Harry, please just listen," begs the curly haired witch, stopping him from taking another step. "What if Voldemort meant for you to see this?" She asks, trying not to look in Carina's direction. The green eyed girl stares at Hermione intently, almost burning a hole through her forehead. "He's only hurting Sirius because he's trying to get to you," reasons the young girl.

"Well, what if he is?" Snaps Carina, finally breaking her silence. Hermione glances in her direction, her mouth opening and closing. "What are we supposed to do then? Just let him die?" Insists the Slytherin Head Girl. "I know you must be worried about what'll happen if we move forward, but I'm more worried about what's gonna happen if we don't."

Still, the Gryffindor Prefect looks unconvinced, glancing between both of them. "Hermione," speaks Harry, making her turn towards him. "He's the only family I've got left," he claims.

Ron, Cass, Draco and Adrian watch as Hermione's grip loosens on Harry and she nods, taking a step back. Ron takes a step forward. "What do you need us to do?" He asks, fully supportive of his friend.

"We have to use the Floo Network," suggests Harry, continuing to walk upstairs. Carina already knows what he's thinking. It's the only choice.

At his words, Hermione frowns, once again questioning his plan. "But Umbridge has all the chimneys under surveillance," she points out, reminding them of the truth. However, Harry doesn't seem unfazed.

"Not all of them," he mutters under his breath, turning right where Umbridge's office is. The Portable Swamp is still there, but it is relatively easy to evade since Fred and George left their friends with instructions on how to cross.

"You want to..." Adrian quickly connects the dots in his mind, "No! Harry, it's too dangerous -" Despite the warning, Harry doesn't stop. He continues to Umbridge's office with his friends follow suit after him.

Truly, it didn't matter what Harry did, he would never be alone. "Alohomora," mumbles Harry, pointing his wand at the door, hearing the lock inside turn without hesitation. Carina cranks it open after that and they all walk inside. Cass shuts the door behind him, locking it swiftly. Instantly, the cats in the paintings start meowing at them, knowing they're trespassing. Harry kneels in front of the chimney, "Alert the Order if you can." Carina ties her hair, ready to leave with the Gryffindor boy.