chapter 40

NARRATOR'S POV

"I forgot to tell you," speaks Adrian suddenly, making Carina and Cassius turn to him. They'd moved to another compartment, leaving Draco and his friends to talk on their own. "I'm Head Boy," he says nonchalantly. Carina's lips part at his statement while Cassius gasps loudly. "What?" He chuckles, pretending to be unfazed. "Montague dropped out this summer - or rather, his parents pulled him out of school, you didn't hear?"

Carina can't help the feeling of relief that washes over her at the mention of Graham leaving school. It doesn't matter how, or why. She's just thankful that she won't have to see his face again, at least for a year. "You're Head Boy?" Questions Cassius. "I'd heard Montague got pulled out of school but I didn't realise the position was up for grabs - I didn't realise it would be you!" He exclaims, patting his friend's shoulder. "Congratulations, mate," Adrian thanks him with a grin and a nod, turning to Carina.

"Aren't you happy now we'll have rounds together, Nina?" Asks Adrian with a small smile. Carina chuckles, holding her tears back, nodding vigorously. She opens up her arms, embracing Adrian tightly, resting her chin on his shoulders.

"Congratulations, A," she murmurs, the smile still etched upon her face. There are no words to describe how thankful she feels by the fact that she won't have to be around Montague anymore. Seeing him was just a reminder of how painful the past year had turned out to be. If it wasn't for Viktor, Adrian and Cassius, she probably wouldn't even be here. "I'm so glad it's you."

After the boat ride, the group finally gets to Hogwarts. They're all dressed up and ready by the time they get there, as always. Draco extends his hand, helping his sister out and onto the ground, like he usually does, letting her down easy. "Thanks, Dray," murmurs Carina, offering him a half smile. "Such a gentleman," she adds, making him laugh breathily.

"You made me like this," replies Draco, fixing his robes. Adrian, Carina, Draco and Pansy, the four Slytherin prefects, stand in line, guiding the First Years along with the rest of the group. She watches as Hermione, Ron and the other prefects do the same. "I'm glad to hear that you had a nice summer with your Weasel boyfriend," he says as they continue to usher the First Years into the Castle. Carina rolls her eyes at his words. Despite the fact that he's using that nickname, Draco doesn't sound hateful at all. "He makes you happy, huh?"

The green eyed girl hums, continuing to wave at the children until the reach the very last one. "He does," she replies with a nod. Pansy groans at the answer, whining dramatically, making Carina snort. Draco narrows his eyes, glaring at the short haired girl. "Sorry, Pans... You've always been too young for me," she tells her with a shrug. "You'll find a prettier girl than me soon enough," Carina decides to say, squeezing her shoulder. Pansy looks like she's about to say something flirty in return when Draco shoots her another dirty look.

"That's the last one!" Calls the Hufflepuff Head Boy from the entrance. Him and the Head Girl close the doors, signalling for the others to walk into the Great Hall.

"C'mon," says Adrian, beginning to walk inside. Carina walks in after him, closely followed by Draco and Pansy, along with the rest of the prefects. "Isn't he wonderful?" Comes Adrian's voice once again, causing Carina to turn around. Lee is staring right at Adrian, probably thinking he's being sneaky. Carina can't help but grin at the expression on Lee's face. He's really in love and she couldn't be more pleased with the fact that it is with her best friend. "Yours is okay too," Carina's gaze shifts from Lee to Fred, who's already glancing in her direction, resting his chin on his hand. When he realises he's been caught, he's startled back to reality, cheeks reddening.

The pair sits down at the Slytherin table, both of them smiling probably more than they should've. Draco sits to Carina's right, and Pansy sits next to him. Before they can even start a conversation, McGonagall speaks out. "We shall begin with the Sorting," she says.