chapter 07

tw: lucius being abusive

NARRATOR'S POV

Turns out, Lucius Malfoy had planted Tom Riddle's diary in Ginny's cauldron that day at Diagon Alley. Or so Harry had told the group before going to a meeting with the Headmaster and Lucius. The twins, Carina and Draco are all standing outside of Dumbledore's office as he chats with Lucius and Harry. The pairs of siblings are standing feet away from each other, against opposites sides of the hall, avoiding the other's gaze, "I told you you couldn't trust her," Fred murmurs to George, finally glaring at Carina.

"Shove off, Fred," whispers George as a response, huffing. "I trust her. Okay? Trust me on this." Fred narrows his eyes but says nothing in return. 

Meanwhile, Carina and Draco eye each other in silence, "Did you know about this, Dragon?" The older girl asks Draco in a low voice, biting the inside of her cheek.

The younger boy shakes his head quickly, "I had no idea... Did you?" He replies. Carina sighs, mimicking his actions. Draco looks torn, and he is: torn between hating his dad for what he's done and obeying everything he's ever taught them. Fred scoffs in disbelief and Carina shoots him a glare before turning back to her brother. "Do- Do you really think he -"

"Mr. Malfoy, I have something of yours," Harry's voice pulls them all from the conversation. Lucius is walking in their direction and they all turn to face him, Dobby is in front of him and Harry catches up from behind. "This belongs to you. I think it was you who put it in Ginny Weasley's cauldron that day at Diagon Alley," the Gryffindor hands the diary to Lucius, who looks as though he's been stabbed. Carelessly, he shoves it at Dobby, who holds it against his chest with a pained look on his face.

Carina eyes the elf with a sorrowful expression, realising he has a bruise on top of his head, "You okay?" She mouths, the elf nods discretely as Lucius speaks.

"Is that what you think then?" Lucius asks Harry tauntingly, kneeling down to his level, "Why don't you prove it?" Harry doesn't bat an eye at the threatening way Lucius is looking at him. "Come, Dobby," Lucius turns around, looking at his children. "Carina, Draco, I'll be seeing you in a few days -" The black haired girl watches with wide eyes as Dobby opens the diary as per Harry's instruction, revealing a small, black sock.

"Master has given Dobby a sock!" The small elf cries in shock, his big eyes turning even bigger.

"What? No I -" Lucius turns around with a disgusted look on his face before it dawns on him.

"Master has presented Dobby with clothes!" Dobby takes it in his hand with a smile forming on his lips. Carina covers her mouth as a grin etches upon it. "Dobby is free!" Lucius snarls as Harry raises his trousers slightly, showing off his now sock-less foot.

"You lost me my servant!" Lucius screams, pulling out his wand, pointing it at the young boy. Harry takes a step back, not having expected Lucius to react in such a way.

"Father, wait!" Carina rushes to his side, putting her hand on his arm to stop him but he dismisses her by removing it forcefully, almost causing her to fall to the ground. "Don't -"

"One more word out of you, one more - and you will not be coming back to Hogwarts for Fifth Year, Carina," Lucius mutters under his breath, fumigating her with his gaze. The twins and Draco watch in surprise. "You know what I'm capable of," the second phrase is only loud enough for her to hear. He may be a monster, but he isn't stupid enough to let others hear his real threat.

Everyone stares as Lucius raises his wand, "Cru-" Is her father really about to practice the Cruciatus Curse on a twelve year old boy? Yes, he is.

Thankfully, Dobby shoves the man back with his own magic, sending him flat on his back. Carina remains in her spot, Draco now next to her, holding her hand. The boy hadn't managed to catch Lucius' second threat, but the first was more than enough to make him furious. "Your parents were meddlesome fools too!" Lucius mutters loudly, fixing his robes as he gets back up. "Mark my words, Potter. One day soon, you're going to meet the same sticky end." He puts his wand back into his cane, facing his children. "I don't want you hanging around these people, understood?"