chapter 37

NARRATOR'S POV

"He told you about the prank?" Breathes out Carina, laying her head on top of Fred's lap. They're in the living room, watching a movie while Sirius and Remus are making popcorn. Fred nods, running his long fingers through Carina's black hair, scratching her scalp softly. "He trusts you already..." mumbles the girl, smiling. "He's really good at reading people. Take it as a compliment."

Fred chuckles, shrugging nonchalantly, pretending it's not a big deal. "I appreciated it. Made me hopeful," murmurs the red haired boy, the pads of his fingers stroking Carina's head tenderly. Sirius and Remus walk in then, the popcorn flying in after them, setting itself on top of the table. The couple sits down on the opposing couch, as Fred speaks, "I've been meaning to ask, where's Snuffles?" Carina snorts at the question, hiding her face behind her hands.

"What do you mean 'where's Snuffle's?'" Asks Remus, raising an eyebrow with an amused expression on his face.

Slightly disconcerted, Fred's eyes travel between Carina, Sirius and Remus. "Uh, I mean..." He clears his throat, sitting up straighter. "Carina told me about your pet dog, Snuffles," says Fred, confused with the whole situation. "I've wanted to ask since I got here, it just slipped my mind... She says he's like family -" Carina bursts out laughing at his words, shaking her head. "- What? What? Where is he - Why is Sirius raising his hand?"

Remus chuckles, shoving Sirius' head in a joking manner. "Stop bothering the poor boy," he says, tone lighthearted. Fred looks like a deer in headlights, his eyes resembling those of a doe as he tries to figure out whatever is going on. "Have you heard about Animagi, Fred?" The boy nods repeatedly, blinking at the question. A scream leaves Fred's lips when Sirius transforms right in front of him, turning into a big, black dog, who is now sitting on his spot. "Padfoot! A warning!"

The grim like dog barks, pawing at Remus' chest, making him laugh quietly. "S-Sirius is Snuffles," says Fred, as if it weren't obvious by then.

Carina hums, sitting up, running a hand through her hair. "Well, we really only call him that when we wanna make fun of him. His actual nickname's Padfoot," she tells Fred, smiling as Pads turns around, barking again before jumping on Carina's lap. "You're heavy, dad!" Groans the green eyed girl, pushing him back down to the floor.

Fred tilts his head. "Padfoot..." he mutters, lips curled downwards as he's deep in thought. "Where have I heard that before?" He asks, glancing at Carina, who rubs under Padfoot's ears with a kind smile. "Padfoot..." repeats Fred, brows furrowed. "And Prongs?" Remus looks up at Fred with surprise, the dog freezing in place, doing the same thing, eyes shining. "Messrs Moony, Wormtail, Padfoot and Prongs..." he remembers, eyes growing in realisation. "Y-You're the owners of the Marauders map? You're the Marauders!"

Another scream leaves his mouth when Sirius transforms right back, springing up to his feet, smiling proudly down at Fred, stretching his hand. "At your service," he says, tone playful. Remus chuckles, eyes turning fond. "So, you're the one that has our map now, then?" Fred shakes Sirius' hand, his expression of pure bliss and recognition. Carina smiles as she watches the exchange. Sirius sits back down to his husband, crossing his legs, "You know, you are allowed to speak..."

"Sorry! S-Sorry, sir, Sirius, Padfoot -" stutters Fred, a surprised smile forming on his face. "I- I can't believe it's you! And you!" He turns to Remus, pointing at him with excitement. Remus nods, smiling right back. "You're the reason why Georgie and I have been so successful with our stunts ever since First Year! Merlin, I can't wait to tell him! He'll be so excited!" Exclaims Fred, appearing grateful. "Thank you so much for all you've done -"

Carina bites her lip as Sirius and Remus laugh again. While Remus dismisses Fred's statement with a simple shrug and wave of a hand, Sirius boasts in it, fixing his collar with a smirk. "- Stop praising him, it'll get to his head," interrupts Carina, sticking her tongue out at her dad, who squints at her, feigning annoyance.