chapter 44

NARRATOR'S POV

Carina stands outside of McGonagall's office with Adrian, Cass and Draco standing close by. With her fingers against her lips, she stares blankly at the wall ahead of her. "They looked so different, didn't they?" Asks Draco in a quiet tone, glancing between Carina and her boys. Adrian shushes him gently, knowing it's not wise to speak about such matters out in the open with any preventive spells.

The green eyed girl rests her other hand on Draco's shoulder and gives him a squeeze, nodding slightly, confirming his suspicions. She also believes that Crabbe, Goyle and Bletchley were acting strange. It's probably Voldemort's work, their parents and their environment piling up on them... Maybe they're getting ready to become -

The door suddenly snaps open, making them all turn around. "Miss Black," comes McGonagall's voice, causing her to stand up straighter. "Please come on in," Carina sighs deeply, but walks inside, receiving a soft pat on the shoulder by Cassius. The girl shuts the door behind her, looking around the room, her gaze locking with Fred's first. His cheek is bruising lightly, reddened by the last punch he took. George is holding on to his side and Harry has some ice placed against his lip. "Could you explain what happened after the match ended?" Asks McGonagall, pointing at the chair that's placed in front of her desk.

Carina walks towards it, sitting down and resting her hands on her lap. "As much as I don't want my House to lose points over this, I think that everything could've been avoided if we had more sportsmanship," she admits, biting down on her bottom lip. She can hear Harry let out a breath of relief. "I'm not just saying this because of my connections to the three boys involved," she says truthfully, stealing a glance at the Gryffindors, turning back to the Head of House. "I mean it. What Crabbe, Goyle and Bletchley did to Ron... that was uncalled for. They were bound to get angry... Even I did after Crabbe got handsy with me. If anything, it's them who should be punished."

After thinking about it for a few minutes, McGonagall looks between the three Gryffindors and the Slytherin Head Girl, letting out a heavy exhale. The Professor can't put her trust in the Weasleys or Potter, for that matter. They're all too emotional about what happened (and with reason). But Carina... "Okay, Miss Black. I understand what you're saying," says Professor McGonagall, placing her hands on top of the desk comfortably. Fred's gaze lingers on Carina as the other two Gryffindors stare at their Head of House. "I have decided to give you three two weeks of detention -"

A loud knock on the door startles all of them, forcing their eyes to the door. Umbridge smiles brightly at the group, her hand resting on the doorknob, eyes shining with delight. "- Hem, hem," she clears her throat lightly, walking in. From behind her, Carina can see her friends and brother glaring at the back of her head just before the Professor shuts the door. "Oh, Minerva. I'll be the one deciding on these young men's punishment," says Umbridge, taking a few steps forward.

"But she's our Head of House! You can't just -" starts Harry, trying to defend himself.

"- But I can," says the older woman, cutting him off. "Educational Decree number twenty five," she adds. Carina can't help the scoff that leaves her mouth as the witch takes out a piece of parchment from her pocket. She made this rule up just for this... "The High Inquisitor will henceforth have supreme authority over all punishments, sanctions and removal of privileges pertaining to the students of Hogwarts, and the power to alter such punishments, sanctions and removals of privileges as may have been placed by other staff members." Fred's mouth is agape by the time she's done reading and hands the paper to McGonagall, who takes it and inspects it with a confused look on her face.

"Surely you know this is not fair -" before she can even finish her sentence, Umbridge lets out a mocking giggle. "But you don't care about fairness and you never have," mutters the Gryffindor Professor, narrowing her eyes.