chapter 29

tw: may increase anxiety.

NARRATOR'S POV

Fred takes a step back, blinking numbly as he continues to watch the scene unfold in front of him, "Graham." After hearing Black moan the Slytherin boy's name for a second time, he turns on his heel and walks away, suddenly deaf. Fred fights against himself. All he wants is to walk up to them, tear them apart and beat Montague to a pulp. Though, normally he wouldn't even care if someone he's sleeping with kisses another, this time - this time, it's different.

Still in his head, he climbs up to the Gryffindor Tower, "Password?" He hears the Fat Lady ask. He stares ahead, his lips in a tight line, unable to even open his mouth. "Weasley... Password?" Repeats the woman, but he stays still.

Thankfully, the door opens, revealing Lee, who has a huge smile on his face, which disappears when he sees the state his best friend's in. "...Fred?" His voice sounds far away, and filled with concern. Fred simply pushes past him, walking towards his dorm room. George looks at his twin as he walks through the room, reaching to grab his arm, only to be ignored completely. "What just happened?" Asks Lee, turning to look at George, who's frowning deeply.

"I don't know..." George replies. When Lee starts to walk after his friend, George stops him, "Don't," he says softly. "Give him a minute."

Fred doesn't feel a thing as he undresses and puts on his pyjamas. Not a single thought crosses his mind as he stares out the window directly at the stars. Something in his stomach churns at the sight. He grabs his wand from his nightstand, shutting the curtains before getting into bed. He lies there, staring blankly at the canopy, his fingers laced on his chest.

He hears the stereo downstairs begin to play Black's favourite song, making it known that it is midnight and officially her birthday. His teeth sink into his bottom lip before he turns towards his nightstand, opening the drawer and taking out a vial of Sleeping Draught.

He never thought he'd need it. But he does right now. Desperately.

Thoughtlessly, he downs it in one single gulp, resting his head back on the pillow and throwing it across the room with all his strength. It cracks satisfactorily against the wall, shattering all over the floor. Fred closes his eyes and lets darkness embrace him, welcoming the nothingness.

***

"Nina, you've got mail!" Says Draco, entering the Common Room. Breakfast is over and she was nowhere to be seen. He is not surprised to see her sitting down in the Common Room next to Cassius and Adrian. The girl sighs, turning towards his brother, taking it from his hand with a small smile. "Happy Birthday, by the way," he murmurs, pressing a gentle kiss to her cheek. "Why didn't you come to the party last night?" Wonders the younger boy.

Carina skims over the letters: Tonks, Padfoot & Moony, Molly & Arthur, Charlie, Bill and Percy. Birthday letters, the lot of them. Her lips twitch slightly before they relax again. "I wasn't feeling well," she tells Draco, shrugging. "I heard you had a great time, though," she chuckles when Draco blushes under her gaze. "Good for you, Dray. Thanks for the letters," Draco leaves her and her friends alone after that, going to Pansy and Blaise.

"Who's Padfoot and Moony?" Asks Adrian, reading the names of each envelope.

"My parents," says Carina, being truthful. Cass and Adrian glance at her. It's obvious they have a lot of questions for the younger girl. She takes out her wand and casts a Silencing Charm around the couch, not wanting anyone else to hear. Nobody was around, but people came and went. She couldn't take that risk. "My father's Sirius Black," confesses the green eyed girl.